You might be an irisarian

1 view

sday...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2024, 5:14:54 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Hi all:

I am writing something for "The Lighter Side" in our newsletter.  I have the following.  Need more.  Any ideas?

You might be an irisarian (with a nod to Jeff Foxworthy)

1.      If a freeze is predicted and you use your bed coverings to cover your iris beds.

2.     If you ever bid $60 on an iris that sells for $30 in the catalog.

3.     If you ever paid $40 for an iris that you don’t really think will grow in your area.

4.     If you ever bought a vehicle with high roof clearance just so you can take your iris stalks safely to a show.

5.     If you’ve had to remove the kids’ pictures from the walls of your home to make room for more iris plates or iris awards.

6.     If your maxed out your credit card to Mid-America or Schreiners

7.     If you ever removed grass, trees, other flower beds, buildings or sidewalks to make room for more irises.

8.     If you ever took your truck to an iris sale because you know the car isn’t big enough to hold your iris purchases.

9.     If you ever missed your house payment so you wouldn’t miss the American Iris Society National Convention.

10. If you ever missed your kid’s graduation because you weren’t back from the Iris Convention.

11. If you ever used a blow dryer on an un-opened iris bud because you are anxious to see what it looks like opened.

Marcia

Jul 20, 2024, 5:24:18 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com
If you bought twice as many irises than you have room for in your garden.

Jody Nolin

Jul 20, 2024, 5:53:24 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com
OMG, I did almost all of them!

Jody Nolin

Lorene Crone

Jul 20, 2024, 6:40:05 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com

I love it!! Too many of them apply to me.

Lorene

howi...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2024, 8:23:18 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Very good Scarlett.  You are welcome to max out your credit card on Picacho Mountsin Iris, haha.

I have used a hair dryer to try to get an iris open for a show.

Susan Driver

Jul 20, 2024, 10:39:53 PM (7 days ago) Jul 20
to ais...@googlegroups.com
I too am guilty of several of those you listed!

In addition:

1. If you dug up your entire iris bed and replanted them in your son's yard, so you could replace them with all new varieties.

2. If you seldom take pictures of your grandkids anymore, but you have pictures of each of your irises at first bloom and each succeeding bloom every year.

Susan

Mark Shipp

Jul 21, 2024, 2:13:03 AM (7 days ago) Jul 21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Possible additions:

You might be an irisarian IF ... you've ever cut iris stalks by flashlight at midnight the night before a show.

You might be an irisarian IF ....  you've ever planted new rhizomes with a flashlight under your chin.  (I've DONE THIS!)

You might be an irisarian IF .... you've ever dug up your least favorite iris just to make room for your newest favorite.

You might be an irisarian IF ..... you've ever hounded fellow Master Gardeners to take home potted irises you dug up just to make room for new rhizomes.

Please let me know if you use any of these!
Mark Shipp
Region 22