Fw: Everett Long and Long's Garden Boulder, CO

howiedash

Oct 18, 2021, 4:32:51 PM10/18/21
to AISTalk
Can anybody help with the history of Long’s Garden in Colorado?

Thanks.

Howie Dash

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS

Begin forwarded message:

On Monday, October 18, 2021, 11:46 AM, Grace Galvan <grace.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mr. Dash,
My name is Grace Galvan. I am a social media intern this fall with History Colorado. One of my responsibilities for the internship is to research and write an original article about Colorado history. I have chosen to do my article on Long's Garden in Boulder, and am focusing on the drought resistant irises propagated by the Long Family.
The reason I am reaching out to you, and AIS is to see if you have any historical information about Long's Garden. I have read several old Denver Post newspaper articles about Everett Long, and his work with irises. At least one article mentioned Everett showing irises with AIS. I'm specifically looking for information about his works "Iris Old and New" and "Iris Aristocrats".
Any information you have or AIS has about Long's irises or his involvement with AIS will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for your time,
Grace Galvan
History Colorado Social Media Intern Fall 2021
University of Denver, MLIS Candidate

@ymail.com

Oct 18, 2021, 4:47:01 PM10/18/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Howie,

Catherne Long Gates (Everette's daughter) wrote most of the article on their history in Supplement One of 100 Years Bold! on pages 74-76.  Do people read or just look at the pretty pictures?

Jim Morris

howi...@aol.com

Oct 18, 2021, 4:50:16 PM10/18/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Jim,  Do you have her contact?

Thanks.

Howie Dash

Susan Driver

Oct 18, 2021, 5:17:52 PM10/18/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Howie,

Cathy Gates gave presentations a couple of times to our club in Colorado Springs. I remember that the gardens did not start out with iris. I have been to Long's Gardens, and she still has a lot of old pictures and other memorabilia from when they also sold seeds. I would think that Cathy could supply the information this intern is looking for.

Susan Driver

Betty Roberts

Oct 18, 2021, 5:22:24 PM10/18/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Howie, write to Catherine Long Gates, P.O. Box 19, Boulder, CO 80306.
Betty Roberts

Sent from my iPad

dougc...@verizon.net

Oct 18, 2021, 7:49:14 PM10/18/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com

Howie, I checked the Encyclopedia for catalogs from Long’s and found none.  Did find Catherine Gates in hybridizers with two listings, https://wiki.irises.org/Main/Bio/HybridizerGatesCatherine

Doug

Bob Pries

Oct 19, 2021, 11:54:28 AM10/19/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
There are several Long's Garden Catalogs in the catalog library. Try going to the list of nurseries in the Library catalog reading room and look under Long's garden. The early catalogs were not large but contained information about the gardens. I do not believe we have any younger than 1946

Bob Pries

Oct 19, 2021, 12:01:45 PM10/19/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
I double checked and there are over 20 catalogs from Long's Garden in the online library. See https://wiki.irises.org/Hist/NurseriesLongsGardens

dougc...@verizon.net

Oct 19, 2021, 12:26:06 PM10/19/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Bob, not sure how I missed that.  Doug

Bob Pries

Oct 19, 2021, 12:57:00 PM10/19/21
to ais...@googlegroups.com
Someday I hope to have links to each catalog of introduction from each cultivar page but that will only take around 70,000 edits I also hope to have links from hybridizer pages to catalog pages that would only take about 3,300 edts, essentially the number of hybridizers. All these types of links could help navigate and I am sure many will be added through time. I did a few this morning to help with the Long's Garden Info.