Bad reprogramming of dust sensor interface board

Tor Gisvold

Jul 26, 2013, 3:46:25 PM7/26/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
- as delivered dust sensor shows raw datavalues that seem sensible
- But R0 = 0, so no computed values.

- Reprogrammed interface board (after soldering on new headers)

- Setting for first fuse gives error message (from load.sh) - all other statements are verified.

:avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9311
avrdude: reading input file "0xff"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing | | 0% 0.00s ***failed;
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.04s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0xff:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0xff:
avrdude: input file 0xff contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xff != 0x07
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
"

- R0 now reads 100 ohms, but RAW is also always zero.

- Any good advice on how to proceed?

Tor Gisvold

Jul 27, 2013, 11:54:02 AM7/27/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

More information as I am trying to get a handle on the problem.

I now have a 100% repeatable test case - making it easier to find out what's going on.

When I connected my laptop via the USB cable and the USB BUB to the FTDI plug on the eggs motherboard everything suddenly worked - and the dust sensor started reporting sensible values.

As soon as I unplug the USB cable and plug the power supply into the power socket the dust sensor starts reporting zero ohms. To be on the safe side I used 2 different power supplies with the same results.

The I plugged the USB cable in - and the sensor again reports sensible (non zero) values.

I can now leave the USB cable plugged in (so that the board does not reset itself) and plug/unplug the PSU. I have done this a large number of times. And it is 100% consistent and repeatable. As soon as I plug in the PSU the dust sensor reports zero. But all other sensors continue to report normal values. ........... I measured the voltage on the i2c plug the dust sensor is plugged into, and with the PSU plugged in it reports 4.96V, with power from the USB port it reports 4.85V. This may possibly be significant - the only other difference I can think of is noise from the PSU - but I have no other really good theories at the moment.

Anyone with any good insights? For the time being I will run the remote egg from a USB power supply via the FTDI port - not terribly convenient, but it works.