Sensor measurement uploading questions

Russell Olivier

Mar 15, 2013, 4:18:47 AM3/15/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Firstly, great work with the AQE. I am having a lot of fun with it.

I just wanted to ask a few questions about the AQE. (I just have a Nanode + AQE shield for private indoor use, it's not a proper egg)

1. Would changing the upload interval from 1 minute to 5 minutes affect the readings in any way? I just saw stuff about heaters and sensors having to warm up etc. Is the 1 minute just to have more "real-time" data?

2. Is there a reason why you send a separate HTTP PUT to Cosm for each sensor measurement (CO, CO_raw, NO2, NO2_raw, etc) instead of everything in one message? I thought maybe a WDT could reset it before sending took place if it was too slow but I don't see a WDT defined and reset at regular intervals?

Us bandwidth starved and over charged people in Africa can't all get away with long verbose messages uploaded every minute. Those units, symbols, labels etc will probably never change so it seemed like a waste sending them 6 times a minute, every minute.

I created my own datastreams in Cosm and I have already stripped out all of the labels, symbols, units, etc from the Cosm messages in AQEBaseSensor to make the messages more compact and lightweight.

Thanks for the help.

Victor Aprea

Mar 15, 2013, 8:52:08 AM3/15/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

Russell,

The post interval is completely independent of the heater control, you can change to 5 minutes and it should only reduce your time resolution.

The reason for posting individual sensor messages is the memory resource constraints on the ATmega328 primarily. Certainly it could be done differently.

Kind Regards,

Vic

Russell Olivier

Mar 15, 2013, 9:09:04 AM3/15/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vic,

Thanks very much for the info.

I actually didn't even think about that. There is a spot on the Nanode for SMD SRAM, I wonder if anyone has given it a go. I will hit up a few searches.

This is my first little 'duino type electronic device + coding so it is a lot to learn. I've been spoilt by .Net and Windows for the last 10 years so it's good to also get back in touch with C++ (the good ol varsity days).