Nanode RF + AQE Shield = No Data

Russell Olivier

Mar 11, 2013, 9:23:47 AM3/11/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I bought the Nanode RF and AQE Shield from Open Energy Monitor and I have uploaded the sketch from https://github.com/jmsaavedra/Air-Quality-Egg/tree/master/AQEBaseSensor.

Nothing ever makes it into COSM. I created an account and used my FEED_ID and API_KEY in the sketch I mentioned above.

The s*&t part is that I can't use the FTDI cable when the AQE shield is plugged in so I can't debug with serial monitor.

1. Would it be ok to bend the Nanode pins back a bit?

2. Are the PWR and INFO LED's on the AQE shield supposed to do anything? They flash briefly on power up but then never do anything. I am using a 5V 1A micro USB to power the Nanode RF.

Thanks.

Cesar Garcia Saez

Mar 11, 2013, 9:40:59 AM3/11/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

We have slightly bent the FTDI pins in several Nanodes without problem. Another option is to debug on the base station where the shield doesn’t block to check the pairing status.

Leds on shield blink during firmware updates, but later on, blinking goes to Nanode board during regular operation.

Best,
César

Dirk Swart

Mar 11, 2013, 9:43:58 AM3/11/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
To support César's comment, bending the pins should be no problem. Do it slowly and not too much - just enough to get

On the power, 5V should be fine. You lose about 0.5v drop, but 4.5v is still within acceptable range. The default US power supplies for the egg are 7.5v

Cheers
Dirk

Victor Aprea

Mar 11, 2013, 10:29:48 AM3/11/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com

Russell,

1. Yes, bending the FTDI pins out a bit should be no problem.

2. You should be able to program with the shield attached.

3. Don't plug in multiple power sources at the same time.

4. Are you on aqe.wickeddevice.com following the Kit Assembly instructions? You will need to first load the Provisioning sketch. Then load the BaseSensor sketch. And send us your MAC address by email so we can register you with Cosm before provisioning.

5. When the Nanode is talking to the Shield, the Shield LEDs will blink.

Kind Regards,

Vic

Russell Olivier

Mar 11, 2013, 11:50:51 AM3/11/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I decided to play around before I bend the pins, I am a bit scared to do it.

Just to confirm, I am a noob with Arduino! This is my first device.

I didn't buy the Egg; I don't have a base and remote station. I bought the NanodeRF and AQE Shield separately, separate orders.

I didn't see it necessary to do the provisioning thing and registering an egg as I already have a Cosm account with a Feed ID and API Key - like the default Cosm Arduino Library example.

So... I took off the AQE shield, uploaded the AQEBaseSensor sketch (with my Feed ID and API Key inserted) to the plain NanodeRF.

Serial Monitor gets up to: "Preparing Stash" and then nothing happens after that. It just sits there. Not even a reset. BTW, same thing happens if I use the default sketch without my Feed ID and API Key inserted.

If I comment out the following Stash code then the Nanode continues without any problems.

// Stash::prepare(PSTR("PUT http://$F/v2/feeds/$E.json HTTP/1.0" "\r\n"
// "Host: $F" "\r\n"
// "\r\n"
// "$H"),
// website,
// FEED_ID,
// website,
// API_KEY,
// stash.size(),
// sd);

Any ideas?

Russell Olivier

Mar 12, 2013, 6:34:07 AM3/12/13
to airqua...@googlegroups.com
Wham Bam. I figured it out with a little RTFM. Learnt a few new things.

// Stash::prepare(PSTR("PUT http://$F/v2/feeds/$E.json HTTP/1.0" "\r\n"
// "Host: $F" "\r\n"

Replaced the $E with $F, values aren't coming from EEPROM but Flash.

// website,
// FEED_ID,
// website,
// API_KEY,
// stash.size(),
// sd);

Added a PSTR() around the FEED_ID and API_Key.

Temp, humidity and NO2 readings all look good. CO reading is off the chart - I will sort that out another day.