focus on the "peer review crisis" in the International Higher Ed newsletter

Curry, MJ

Jul 10, 2024, 10:35:18 AMJul 10
to aila-p...@googlegroups.com

FYI

From: International Higher Education – DUZ Academic Publishers <i...@duz-medienhaus.de>
Date: Tuesday, July 9, 2024 at 5:55 PM
To: Mary Curry <mjc...@Warner.Rochester.edu>
Subject: [EXT] IHE # 119 is now available! And the highlights are…

Besuchen Sie hier die Webversion.

­

International Higher Education:
new issue out now!

­

Dear IHE subscriber,

We are delighted to share the latest issue of International Higher Education #119, our Summer 2024 edition!

Our editorial confronts the peer review crisis, examining the current challenges due to the massification of knowledge production. We explore ways to improve the process, including providing incentives, enhancing transparency, and expanding the pool of reviewers.

This issue analyzes how geopolitics reshapes student mobility, from the UK's "hostile environment" policies to East Asian power dynamics between South Korea, China, and Japan. Learn about surprising trends in doctoral mobility in France, postdoc experiences in Germany, and the uneven post-pandemic recovery of scholar mobility to the United States.

It unpacks trends in transnational education: how Uzbekistan has become the world's third-largest host of international branch campuses and why institutions still seek to establish branch campuses in Dubai's saturated market. It also examines how US campuses navigate tensions between isolationist tendencies and continued expansion, as well as possible futures for transnational cooperation among European universities.

Several articles also explore higher education systems in political upheaval: Argentina under President Milei's new leadership, the emergence of "universities in exile" countering authoritarian regimes in countries like Afghanistan and Myanmar, and Russia's regression toward Soviet-style education practices during wartime.

Enjoy the issue!

Philip G. Altbach, Hans de Wit, Chris R. Glass, Gerardo Blanco, and Rebecca Schendel (editors)

📅 SAVE THE DATE!

The CIHE Biennial Conference will be June 27-28, 2025! Join us for this interactive and interdisciplinary gathering with leading researchers and policymakers from around the world!

Website: www.internationalhighereducation.net

­

­

­

­

­

DUZ Academic Publishers
Franz Mehring-Platz 1
10243 Berlin

Germany

Phone: +49 (0)30 / 21 29 87-0
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 21 29 87-20
E-mail: in...@duz-medienhaus.de

CEO: Angelika Fritsche | Veronika Renkes
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Registry number: HRB 168239 B
VAT (in accordance with § 27a UStG): DE301227734

Center for International Higher Education
Campion Hall
Boston College
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
USA