Extension of proposal deadline: AILA REN

AILA RENPUB

May 13, 2023, 5:03:26 AM5/13/23
to aila-p...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

AILA 2024 has extended its proposal deadline. Correspondingly, the deadline for the AILA REN proposal submission is extended to the 15th of July 2023.

Please Email your proposals to: aila.r...@gmail.com with the subject heading: AILA 2024 Symposium Proposal

All topics relevant to academic publishing and presenting will be welcomed.

AILA World Congress 2024 on Linguistic Diversity, Inclusion and Sustainability

11-16 August 2024 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (hybrid event)

Academic Publishing and Presenting in a Global Context AILA ReN Symposium

Framing Diversity, Inclusion and Sustainability (DIS) in Research Writing and Global Academic Publishing

Questions of diversity and inclusion, and corollary issues of equity and access, occupy a central role in the research and practitioner work by members of our Academic Publishing and Presenting in a Global Context network. This year’s AILA 2024 theme of “Linguistic Diversity, Inclusion and Sustainability” (DIS) falls neatly within the range of our topics and aligns with the very rationale for the existence of our network: to bring together diverse researcher and practitioner roles and positionalities as well as mapping a variegated landscape of research, insights, and practices into research writing and knowledge production and dissemination globally, across borders, from interrogating the gatekeeping mechanisms of publishing in English as the global language of research communication to articulating professional value sets and tactics that underpin the teaching and brokering of writing for research and publication across geolinguistic locales.

While these issues of Diversity and Inclusion are both familiar and central to our collective preoccupations, the AILA 2024 symposium will be a great opportunity to take stock of our understanding and commitments to them and what these commitments mean in practice while also making room for novel discussions around a third framing notion, that of Sustainability. After discussions with colleagues via our open call on our network platform, we would like to keep the focus of the symposium broad and let the three themes emerge naturally from our participants’ proposals that cut across writing, research and publishing practices, teaching/brokering research writing, policy, and institutional agenda setting and critique. We suggest, nonetheless, possible directions:

      Meanings and conceptualisations of DIS: intersectional approaches in theory and practice

      Researching/ “measuring” DIS: methodological designs

      Identity-based approaches: positionality in research and practice

      (inter/trans-)Disciplinary, discursive and genre-based approaches

      Bibliodiversity, gatekeeping, accessibility, making knowledge public

      ERPP, pluri/multilingual engagements and relations in research and practice

      Geographies and histories of publishing, writing, and knowledge production

      Material conditions and impact on DIS: funding streams and infrastructural support

      Training and professional development for DIS

      Pedagogies and brokering practices

      Policymaking, critiques, and structural changes (impact at national and institutional scales)

      Issues of access and equity

In order to stay fully committed to the DIS agenda of the AILA 2024 Congress, we invite proposals from members of our network with diverse linguistic, geo-cultural, racial, ethnic, and disciplinary backgrounds as well as diverse roles in teaching, brokering, researching research writing/English for Research and Publication Purposes, journal and book publishing, policy-making and agenda setting.

Format

The Symposium will be either half a day (3.5h) or a full day (2 x 3.5h sessions), depending on submissions. It will consist of a combination of 20 min presentations, followed by 10 min Q&As and a round table of discussion based on the topics in the proposals. The Congress organisers very much encourage in-person participation; yet, the event will be hybrid, with both online and in-person components. We would like to give colleagues in our network the opportunity to choose how they would like to participate in the symposium and we will make a decision on the final format based on the options presented.

Submission details

Your proposal should include the following details:

-          Name, institutional affiliation, and role

-          Title of proposal

-          300-word abstract

-          Choice of participation: online or in person

Email your proposals to: aila.r...@gmail.com with the subject heading: AILA 2024 Symposium Proposal by 15 July 2023

Notifications: 31 July 2023

For more details about the general AILA 2024 call, please see their website: https://aila2024.com/call-for-proposals/

Best regards,
Cindy and cat.
Convenors of AILA ReN of Academic Publishing and Presenting in a Global Context.

Catalina Neculai

Jun 23, 2023, 2:31:40 AM6/23/23
to aila-p...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

this is a kind reminder of our deadline to submit proposals for next year's AILA symposium: 15 July! details in our previous call below.

we also have a chance to debate some of these issues at our next reading webinar on July 7! (see my previous email).

we look forward to your proposals,
cat. and Cindy