Open WRT Image

Chromecide

Nov 22, 2009, 7:32:16 PM11/22/09
to Aiko distributed platform
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to flash my router with OpenWRT, with no luck.

I can get as far as flashing the router in diag mode using tftp,
transfer's successful, but once i reboot, nothing. I can't even ping
the router.

I've been looking over the net and other people have also had trouble
when it comes to flashing the wl500gpv2. From what i can tell the
flashing is happening fine, but the system wont boot due to other
issues and missing packages.

Do we have a prebuilt trx file that we should be using for the AIKO?

Regards
Justin

Sam Sabey

Nov 22, 2009, 7:55:12 PM11/22/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey Justin,

I've never had a problem with this router using the notes here:
http://smartenergygroups.com/forums/10-The-Open-Grid/topics/16?page=1

There is also a pre-build image for the AikoGateway that has all the necessary packages etc.
http://smartenergygroups.com/open_grid/openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs_v0.13.trx

A little question... are you letting the router re-program itself after tftp transfer?  This can take a minute or two.  Rebooting the router before this has finished will give fail.

Another tip that may be useful - it's possible to monitor the internal serial port using an FDTI cable and minicom or equivalent.  The build out of the OpenWRT box to get the Aiko Gateway operating will disable this, however it can be useful for the initial flash monitoring process.

Sam.
Hey Guys,

I've been trying to flash my router with OpenWRT, with no luck.

I can get as far as flashing the router in diag mode using tftp,
transfer's successful, but once i reboot, nothing.  I can't even ping
the router.

I've been looking over the net and other people have also had trouble
when it comes to flashing the wl500gpv2.  From what i can tell the
flashing is happening fine, but the system wont boot due to other
issues and missing packages.

Do we have a prebuilt trx file that we should be using for the AIKO?

Regards
Justin

Chromecide

Nov 22, 2009, 8:15:31 PM11/22/09
to Aiko distributed platform
LIKE A BOUGHT ONE!!!!!

Thanks Sam, worked a pearla!! I now have OpenWRT running!!!

One step closer!!

ta
Justin

On Nov 23, 11:55 am, Sam Sabey <sam.sa...@esskware.com.au> wrote:
> Hey Justin,
>
> I've never had a problem with this router using the notes here:http://smartenergygroups.com/forums/10-The-Open-Grid/topics/16?page=1
>
> There is also a pre-build image for the AikoGateway that has all the
> necessary packages etc.http://smartenergygroups.com/open_grid/openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs_v0.1...

Sam Sabey

Nov 22, 2009, 8:18:24 PM11/22/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Great to hear.  There rest of the Aiko Gateway doco should also be on this page, including wifi backhaul.

Also, beware - the config for wifi backhaul from this doco will render your OpenWRT a not-router.  This means that to ssh into it, you will need to ssh from it's backhaul, i.e. your ADSL connection at home.

Chromecide

Nov 22, 2009, 10:06:53 PM11/22/09
to Aiko distributed platform
OK

So I THINK i have it running....i can see "aiko_gatweay" in my list of
running processes...i've signed up on www.smartenergygroups.com....created
a site and a device....in the aiko_configuration.lua there is a
setting for:

"site_token"

what should this be...

the actual site key as listed under "My Keys"?
or the node name as specified when creating the device?

Regards
Justin

Chromecide

Nov 22, 2009, 10:10:08 PM11/22/09
to Aiko distributed platform
just ralised i wont be able to test it atm anyway....cause i don;t
have the gateway hooked to the net

*shakes head*

last week was a LOOOOOOOONG week

Sam Sabey

Nov 22, 2009, 10:18:14 PM11/22/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey Justin,

Yes!

In the My Keys page (no relation to the #fail public transport ticketing system...) you will see all the relevant node names and other bits for your thing.

The site_token needs to be set inside the lua code for the Aiko Gateway, and is called

site_token: site_<md5 hash of stuff>

Copy the blue text and put this into the lua for the variable, surprisingly called: site_token

Also,

Make sure that your node name i.e. your Arduino's node matches what you've programmed your Arduino to.  AND that the stream name matches that of the Arduino's s-expression output.

I will be making a change soon to allow you to see your API request log as a diagnostic.  However until then if anyone has an integration problem let me know and I can try and decipher what's going on the web app side.

Andy Gelme

Nov 23, 2009, 7:01:20 PM11/23/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
hi Justin,

Chromecide wrote:
> just ralised i wont be able to test it atm anyway....cause i don;t
> have the gateway hooked to the net

Over time, we'll have the Aiko-Gateway perform more locally useful
functions, beyond just acting as an aggregator / web gateway ...

- Aiko-Gateway LCD screen and TouchPanel interacting with any local
device on the mesh-network.
- Web server providing user interface to manage and interact with
mesh-network of devices.
- Local installation, set-up and configuration.
- Serving up a web-based interface for your mobile phone, iPhone,
iTouch, etc.
- Routing messages between local devices, e.g. output of one device
controls input of another.
- Notification (alerts) based on local device monitoring -> web service.
- Local logging / storage of device information (for sample rates higher
than you want to send to the Internet).
- Domain specific applications, e.g. home or vehicle automation.
- Whatever you can imagine !

--
-O- cheers = /\ /\/ /) `/ =
--O -- http://www.geekscape.org --

Chromecide Meh

Nov 23, 2009, 7:28:06 PM11/23/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
nice!!!

well i am now able to compile the aiko-node sketch(thanks for the pointer to the install instructions, i really MUST learn how to scroll) , so after lunch time i should have my router finished.(all hardware is complete, just need to get the last of the software installed)  it'll then be a matter of whipping up a temporary pebble.

I can't wait to get it finished, that way i can dive in and start helping to expand the capabilities of the system (including building a modified pebble to add a soil moisture sensor for the Sputnik Tomato)

Chromecide Meh

Nov 23, 2009, 8:14:15 PM11/23/09
to aiko-p...@googlegroups.com
so close....yet so far....

now that i have my environment setup properly....compiling and uploading was a breeze....only issue is the way i soldered up my sensor board....i made the hardware equivalent of a typo...wrong wire...wrong hole...

The LDR is working fine....but the temp sensor needs to be re-wired...so i'll do that tonight and it'll be sweet!!