Installing version <2 (newbie)

Osman Barış Malcıoğlu

Sep 5, 2022, 3:37:29 AM9/5/22
to aiidausers
Dear all,

I am trying to install AiiDA version less than 2.0 (since v2.0 seems not to support plugins I am interested in yet)

I have installed the necessary packages in a  clean conda environment using
`pip install aiida-core==<version>`
and
`conda install -c conda-forge aiida-core.services==<version>`

where version is a set of AiiDA versions <2

and went on with creating the DB and starting the rabbitmq in an empty directory

However, when I try to run `verdi` I end up with the attached error:

Since AiiDA v2 works. Is it possible that the package dependencies are somewhat garbled for the earlier versions (i.e. installing unsupported dependencies from the future?) If so, what is the correct dependency set for v1.6.9  ? (I would appreciate if someone posts pip freeze output)
Best,
Baris

  File "site-packages/aiida/cmdline/params/types/identifier.py", line 60, in __init__
    entry_point = get_entry_point_from_string(entry_point_string)
  File "site-packages/aiida/plugins/entry_point.py", line 174, in get_entry_point_from_string
    return get_entry_point(group, name)
  File "site-packages/aiida/plugins/entry_point.py", line 266, in get_entry_point
    raise MissingEntryPointError(
aiida.common.exceptions.MissingEntryPointError: Entry point 'core' not found in group 'aiida.groups'. Try running `reentry scan` to update the entry point cache.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "envs/aiida-1.x/bin/verdi", line 5, in <module>
    from aiida.cmdline.commands.cmd_verdi import verdi
  File "envs/aiida-1.x/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiida/cmdline/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    from .params.arguments import *
  File "envs/aiida-1.x/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiida/cmdline/params/arguments/__init__.py", line 45, in <module>
    GROUP = OverridableArgument('group', type=types.GroupParamType())
  File "envs/aiida-1.x/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiida/cmdline/params/types/group.py", line 46, in __init__
    super().__init__(sub_classes=sub_classes)
  File "envs/aiida-1.x/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiida/cmdline/params/types/identifier.py", line 62, in __init__
    raise ValueError(f'{entry_point_string} is not a valid entry point string: {exception}')
ValueError: aiida.groups:core is not a valid entry point string: Entry point 'core' not found in group 'aiida.groups'. Try running `reentry scan` to update the entry point cache.

Sebastiaan Huber

Sep 5, 2022, 3:47:21 AM9/5/22
to aiida...@googlegroups.com
Dear Baris,

You can find the dependencies that should work for v1.6.9 on the repository: https://github.com/aiidateam/aiida-core/blob/v1.6.9/requirements/requirements-py-3.9.txt
I linked the set for Python 3.9 but there are also files for 3.7 and 3.8.

That being said, the exception might actually point you to the solution.
Did you execute `reentry scan` in the virtual environment?
This is necessary for AiiDA <2.0 whenever you install a new package with AiiDA entry points.

HTH,

Sebastiaan
--
AiiDA is supported by the NCCR MARVEL (http://nccr-marvel.ch/), funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, and by the European H2020 MaX Centre of Excellence (http://www.max-centre.eu/).

baris.m...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2022, 3:59:56 AM9/5/22
to aiida...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sebastiaan,

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I think the real problem is me being new to AiiDA. I am unaware of the
changes between 1.6.x and 2.x, and I was following the tutorial from
the AiiDA-docs (https://aiida.readthedocs.io/

This site seems to offer tutorials only for 2.x series. Now that I know
it is not applicable to 1.6.x, I shall find some other tutorials.

Best,
Baris
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/aiidausers/25481690-6670-e00b-0198-f507ec3beb16%40sphuber.net
> .

Sebastiaan Huber

Sep 5, 2022, 4:04:49 AM9/5/22
to aiida...@googlegroups.com
Dear Baris,

You can select the version in the documentation in the bottom right of
the page.
Here is a link to the docs for 1.6.9:
https://aiida.readthedocs.io/projects/aiida-core/en/v1.6.9/

HTH,