cryptography: Python 3.6 is no longer supported by the Python core team

Fabio Affinito

Aug 16, 2022, 4:02:30 AM8/16/22
to aiidausers
Hi all,

I recently reinstalled AiiDA. When I call anything from verdi, I get this warning:

(aiida) faffinit@aiidainstance:~$ verdi status
 ✔ config dir:  /home/faffinit/.aiida
 ✔ profile:     On profile max3
 ✔ repository:  /home/faffinit/.aiida/repository/max3
/mnt/repository/faffinit/envs/aiida/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sqlalchemy_utils/types/encrypted/encrypted_type.py:15: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: Python 3.6 is no longer supported by the Python core team. Therefore, support for it is deprecated in cryptography and will be removed in a future release.
  import cryptography

For your information, this is the version I'm using:
(aiida) faffinit@aiidainstance:~$ verdi --version
AiiDA version 1.5.3
(aiida) faffinit@aiidainstance:~$ python --version
Python 3.6.9

Kind regards,

Fabio

Sebastiaan Huber

Aug 16, 2022, 4:05:42 AM8/16/22
to aiida...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fabio,

You can safely ignore the warning, it won't affect the functionality of AiiDA.
It comes from a dependency that is warning that your version of Python won't be supported in future releases.
AiiDA already dropped support for Python 3.6 officially.
It is recommended that you update your Python version as soon as possible.
Preferably to v3.8 or higher, as AiiDA v2.0 also dropped support for Python 3.7.

Regards,

Sebastiaan
--
AiiDA is supported by the NCCR MARVEL (http://nccr-marvel.ch/), funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, and by the European H2020 MaX Centre of Excellence (http://www.max-centre.eu/).