Inquiry Regarding Quantum Mobile Installation

Bashdar Rahman

Jan 16, 2024, 5:59:40 PMJan 16
to aiidausers

Dear Quantum Mobile Developers,

I am currently exploring the utilisation of Quantum Mobile for running simulations. However, I have concerns about the impact on performance when using a virtual box on Windows. I would appreciate your assistance with the following inquiries:

Is it possible to install Quantum Mobile as a standalone operating system? Given that it operates on Ubuntu, I am interested in understanding its compatibility as an independent OS.

If I were to install Ubuntu directly on my laptop, would I be able to install Quantum Mobile without the need for a virtual box?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Kind regards,

Bashdar Pirot

Pizzi Giovanni

Jan 30, 2024, 2:11:19 PMJan 30
to AiiDA users mailing list
Dear Bashdar Pirot,

in principle yes. If you start with the same Ubuntu version (currently 20.04), you can use the ansible playbooks that we use to build Quantum Mobile.

however they explain how to make a virtual machine, so you might need to adapt the docs (not using tox/vagrant, but directly ansible to run the playbooks that you find here: https://github.com/marvel-nccr/quantum-mobile

I didn't try but probably you'll need to

1. install ansible-galaxy,

2. run
ansible-galaxy install -r requirements.yml

3. run
ansible-playbook playbook-package.yml

However probably having some basic understanding of how ansible works will be helpful in case of problems; a standard ansible tutorial you can find online will help (and there might be small modifications to do - for instance, we setup a swap file because this is enough for a VM, but you might have already a swap partition in your machine; you would need to adapt the ansible tasks accordingly).

Hope that these short instructions are helpful!

Best,
Giovanni

PS: If you succeed, do not hesitate to report back here your findings

--
AiiDA is supported by the NCCR MARVEL (http://nccr-marvel.ch/), funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation, and by the European H2020 MaX Centre of Excellence (http://www.max-centre.eu/).