AI and All that Jazz

Rasa Bočytė

Jul 1, 2024, 8:43:19 AMJul 1
to ai4lam

Dear AI4LAM community,

I bring not one, not two, but three news items that might be of interest to you:

1. Reminder - Join the "Archival Images of AI" Online Session

The Archival Images of AI team, supported by EuropeanaTech, invites you to join an interactive online session on 10 July at 15:00-16:00 CEST to explore how we can reuse archival collections to create new images that meaningfully depict AI. During the session, we will discuss and test different approaches for creating imagery based on archival collections. We will reflect both on the narratives we wish to construct about AI and those embedded in archival collections that can lend us a critical lens on AI development.

Register to join the session using THIS LINK.

2. Pressure, hype, and research ethics: exploring the potential of generative AI in academic research across social sciences and humanities

Our team at the Netherlands Institute for Sound & Vision recently commissioned a report that investigates how social sciences and humanities researchers use generative AI when working with multimodal data. We see new practices emerging around these tools that allow researchers to remain critical and maintain strong research etiquette.

If you'd like to learn more, join the AI Cafe on 9 July at 15:00-16:00 CEST where researcher Ola Bonati will discuss the report's findings. Register HERE.

3. How is the Media Sector Responding to Content Crawling for Model Training

AI4Media initiative just launched a repository that monitors how media creators and holders are responding to their content being crawled for AI model training. We are tracking:

  • ❌ Anti-scraping statements - positions by media creators and holders against automated crawling of their content
  • ⚖ Legal action - lawsuits launched against tech companies for unlawful data scraping
  • 💰 Licensing deals - agreements between media holders and tech companies to use media content for model training
  • 🔫 New techniques & methods - tools that are being developed to prevent or detect content scraping
  • 🔮 Opinion pieces and analysis - analytical takes on the topic
  • 📏 Legislations & policies - governmental actions guiding the media sector and tech companies
Check out the repository HERE and help us grow it by contributing new resources. We would love to include more content related to responses from the cultural heritage domain.