Licensing

Gary

Feb 22, 2013, 1:36:26 PM2/22/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all

The Google Store is shutting down copy protection the 27th. They suggest developers add the Google Play Licensing service.

I am poking at a way to use the License Verification Library (LVL) with App Inventor.

The good news it looks like I can do it.
The bad news is I have not done it yet.
The ugly is they are turning off copy protection the 27th and I am out of spare time.

The current plan is someone can buy the framework for an app. The framework includes the LVL. They drop their App Inventor source in and can start checking if a user is licensed to use that app.

I am willing to work with a few folks to get the bumps smoothed out and then I will release. It will not be free. I'm thinking that if someone wants to license their app, we can generate the framework for $30-$50 for each app.

Not the usual price for what I usually do, but not a lot for something you plan on making $ from.

My biggest concern is using the Licensing service it is not a simple thing. The code part is not hard. Getting Google Play right makes putting a Personal Server up look like a walk in the park. It is not hard, but there will be support. If I spend all my time supporting a few people, I am not able to do what I want to do.

I'm still getting it to work the first time, if you have ideas, let me know.

Gary

Gary

Feb 25, 2013, 7:59:58 AM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Making some good progress. I built an App Inventor example that simulates how I currently plan on implementing licensing. I then took that app and modified it to call an app that does Licensing with Activity Starter. I'll work with that a bit, getting that the way I think it should go. Then I'll do an app that combines the licensing code with the App Inventor code. And I will have an app that uses the licensing library!

Gary

Bryan de Valdivia

Feb 25, 2013, 8:06:38 AM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
WOO HOO !!

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Gary <g...@jsoft.com> wrote:
Making some good progress. I built an App Inventor example that simulates how I currently plan on implementing licensing. I then took that app and modified it to call an app that does Licensing with Activity Starter. I'll work with that a bit, getting that the way I think it should go. Then I'll do an app that combines the licensing code with the App Inventor code. And I will have an app that uses the licensing library!

Gary

Dennis A.

Feb 25, 2013, 9:53:28 AM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
WOO HOO !! ^ 10

Dennis

Gary

Feb 25, 2013, 3:49:37 PM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
:-) :-) ;-)

Uhhh...

I was thinking about licensing when I went out. It requires Java and the Android SDK. Not as simple as setting up the Personal Server. Thoughts about that?

Dennis A.

Feb 25, 2013, 4:32:14 PM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I'm ok with that.
I assumed it would require the SDK since the library "roots" are not in AI ..

.. gotta do what we gotta do..

Thank you,
Dennis

Gary

Feb 25, 2013, 4:37:45 PM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
:-)

I am out of time today. I hope to have an example up tomorrow or the day after (the 27th :-O)

Dennis A.

Feb 25, 2013, 4:44:48 PM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, February 25, 2013 4:37:45 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
:-)

I am out of time today. I hope to have an example up tomorrow or the day after (the 27th :-O)

don't push yourself too hard.. there should be some "coast" time beyond the 27th (I hope)..
.. the way I read it is, they won't be accepting any NEW apk's after that date but if your apk is already there they will continue to support it with their old copy protection.
.. for awhile anyway.. not sure how long.

Dennis

Gary

Feb 25, 2013, 4:54:33 PM2/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I read it that way also.

I will not have to push hard, it will work or it will not. I do have two things going on tomorrow but really really want to at least get it going.

Gary

Feb 26, 2013, 12:48:01 PM2/26/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Very close.

I have an app that calls the licensing server and then calls App Inventor. I just merged two previous tests and it is not quite right.
But very close.

And I may be out of time for today.
sigh

Gary

Gary

Feb 28, 2013, 6:03:23 AM2/28/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I got it working. The app is a very simple test app. Now I am working on smoothing the MANY little issues out.

Gary

Mar 4, 2013, 11:12:26 AM3/4/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Someone tested it with a big app and Android complained that the app was toooo big and should be broken up.

I 'fixed' it by testing on a newer version of Android. I was testing on 1.5 and got the error. I tested on 2.3.4 and it worked.

Soooo

We had to iron out other issues and now we test test test.

Dennis A.

Mar 23, 2013, 4:19:30 PM3/23/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Any news since "test test test"?

Dennis

Gary

Mar 24, 2013, 6:45:01 AM3/24/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
It works.

but... (sigh... always a but)

I have to build it. It works and works well. But the process for building the apk is not good enough to release.

I did the test for the big app and we moved on. There is not much interest as far as I know. I have not done anything with it for a week.

I could work with a few folks if there is interest. Get the license into their apps and work out what needs to be done to make it more generally available.

Dennis A.

Mar 25, 2013, 8:05:35 AM3/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com
How much bigger does the app get?

I update my app 4-6 times per year..
.. I'd need you to convert it each time?

.. was really hoping for a system not a service.

Thanks
Dennis

Gary

Mar 25, 2013, 9:43:42 AM3/25/13
to ai...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, March 25, 2013 7:05:35 AM UTC-5, Dennis A. wrote:
How much bigger does the app get?
They are probably about the same size.

I update my app 4-6 times per year..
.. I'd need you to convert it each time?

.. was really hoping for a system not a service.

Yeah. I do not want to get into that service.

I can do the service now.
It will take a lot longer to get it to a system. And if I am not doing much with it, it will take even longer.

catch 22?

Thanks
Dennis

Gary

Barrie Fox

Sep 4, 2018, 6:51:28 AM9/4/18
to App Inventor for All
Hi Gary
I am very new to app development. Started reading how 2 months ago and published an app a couple of days ago. Got a licence from play store and just assumed that was all I needed to do. My app has been hacked already. I want to licence it but as I am not a coder as such i am lost. I have read about it but need help. Are you able to offer this service to me???

Regards

Barrie