Mayor Demings' Digest | September 2020

Avalon Home & Property Owners

Oct 1, 2020, 8:24:36 AM10/1/20
to Google-Email AHPOA

Census 2020 deadline extended to Oct. 5!
Mayor Demings and Orlando Magic player
MAYOR DEMINGS' DIGEST

Happy fall! I hope you enjoy this time of year with your loved ones in beautiful Orange County.

While we continue to see positive trends in COVID-19 cases in Orange County, younger residents from the ages of 15 through 24 are accounting for many of the new cases, so we must all remain vigilant. As we continue to adjust to the pandemic and listen to our local health and science experts, you can still be involved in your community – just in different ways.

Please consider joining me for this year’s free virtual Orange County Community Conference on Saturday, October 17. We have a fantastic lineup of speakers and workshops that will provide you an opportunity to learn about innovative ways to improve neighborhoods during these challenging times.

Our neighborhoods are the heart and soul of our community and each of you play a significant role in making Orange County safer and stronger! Visit ocfl.net/CommunityConference for more information.

Speaking of being involved in your community, please do not forget to register to vote – as every vote matters. The deadline to register to vote in the general election is October 5. The Orange County Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Initiative, in partnership with the Supervisor of Elections, are sharing important voter registration information on social media using the hashtag #OrangeVotes. We are also proud to have the Orlando Magic teaming up with the Orlando Amway Center to offer the facility as an early voting center October 19 through November 1, 2020. Visit ocfl.net/MLK to learn more.
ORANGE COUNTY CARES ACT DOLLARS HELPING OUR COMMUNITY
Orange County’s CARES Act funding is helping local social service organizations serve residents. One example of this is Clean the World’s Fresh Start Wash & Wellness Program. People experiencing homelessness now have a place to shower, get tested for COVID-19 and receive other importance services at no cost. Learn more about the program in this short video.
ORANGE CARES
Cares Act social service nonprofit fund program
Cares Act Covid 19 Eviction Diversion Program
As part of Orange County’s CARES Act funding, our COVID-19 Eviction Diversion Program has been operating for one month now. So far, the program has approved more than a half a million dollars in payments that will allow 192 families to stay in their homes and avoid eviction. Visit ocfl.net/EvictionDiversion to learn more.

In addition, in partnership with Heart of Florida United Way, we recently launched a program for social-service nonprofits to help with reimbursements for personal protective equipment and other expenses due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit OCFLCares.org to apply and for more information.
SAFER, STRONGER, TOGETHER
Orange County’s businesses continue to be Safer, Stroger, Together. Listen to J. Henry, owner of J Henry’s Barbershop, speak about his experience on Orange County’s Economic Recovery Task Force and how businesses like his benefited from Orange County CARES for Small Business Grant Program.
IN THE NEWS
Six young women wearing masks
Learn about their efforts and how Orange County supported the cause by donating 10,000 facemasks.
Mayor Demings attended the groundbreaking for Madison Landing, near the Holden Heights area. The initiative supports Mayor Demings’ Housing for All initiative. Watch Orange TV video.
Two people guiding another person as they walk
Our Neighborhoods Services Division grant program supported funding for self-defense training for the blind at Lighthouse Central Florida.
Fire Rescue personnel greeting one another
Thank you to trained personnel at the Orange County Fire Rescue Department for being part of the Central Florida Urban Search and Rescue Task Force 4 to help our state neighbors facing hurricane destruction in their time of need.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
As part of National Public Lands Day, Beth Jackson, environmental program supervisor at Orange County’s Environmental Protection Division, hosted a virtual hike in hopes to inspire you to explore Orange County's more than 23,000 acres of natural lands. Watch the hike.
COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
Saturday, October 17, 2020 | 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

This year, Orange County’s annual Community Conference is be a free, virtual event! The conference will air on the County's Facebook, YouTube and OrangeTV. Visit ocfl.net/CommunityConference to register or learn more.

Saturday, October 3, 2020 – Sunday, February 14, 2021

Orange County Regional History Center's newest exhibition examines the largest incident of voting-day violence in United States history. The exhibition marks the centennial of the event, and shines a light on the once hidden history in Central Florida.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020 | 2 p.m.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. The Orange County Domestic Violence Commission and Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida will host a free housing webinar for domestic violence survivors and entities serving this population. Visit ocfl.net/DVC for more information.

Saturday, October 10, 2020 | 8 p.m.

Due to COVID-19, Central Florida’s Come Out With Pride event is hosting a virtual extravaganza, showcasing fun interviews, special guest stars, national celebrities, and performances by favorite local artist.

Thursday, October 15, 2020 | 6 p.m.

The Orange County Hispanic Heritage Committee is hosting the Hispanic Youth Leadership Awards – celebrating local students who are excelling in the classroom and community. The conference airs on the Committee’s Facebook page, YouTube and OrangeTV.

Additionally, the Committee is highlighting beautiful artwork created by local Hispanic artists on its Facebook page until October 15.

Ends October 31, 2020

Visit Orlando’s Magical Dining Month has been extended until October 31. The event offers $35, three-course, prix-fixe dinners at more than 70 of Orlando’s finest restaurants. Additionally, $1 from each meal benefits Feed the Need Florida, which works to help feed people who are struggling with getting access to healthy food during the COVID-19 crisis.

Ongoing

Orange County Health Services Department and several community partners are offering free COVID-19 testing to residents across the County. Visit ocfl.net/COVID19 for a list of available testing sites.
SOCIAL MEDIA HIGHLIGHTS
Check out these social media highlights, connect with Orange County Government and follow Mayor Demings on Facebook and Twitter.
Innovation. Collaboration. Inclusion.

Orange County Government | 201 S. Rosalind Avenue, Orlando, FL 32801
Unsubscribe kshe...@brighthouse.com
Update Profile | About our service provider
Sent by ma...@ocfl.net