Fw: Invitation: 29th May Trépel Lab Seminar "Health Insurance Benefits Package Redesign in Ethiopia"

Danny Achala

May 24, 2024, 6:59:52 AMMay 24
to Ahpernet
Dear All,

Kindly find below invitation to  an upcoming seminar titled Health Insurance Benefits Package Redesign in Ethiopia” which will be presented by Amanuel Yigezu. We see this seminar as an interesting event and encourage members to participate. Details of the event are below:

Thank you
Danny

======================================================================================================
Dear Professor John Ele-Ojo Ataguba,

We hope you're doing well. We are writing to extend an invitation for our upcoming seminar Health Insurance Benefits Package Redesign in Ethiopia” which will be presented by Amanuel Yigezu, PhD Student at Trinity College Dublin (Trépel Lab at TCIN), on May 29th from 15:00 to 16:00 (Irish Standard Time). We would appreciate it if you could also circulate this information among the members of AfHEAHere are the full details of the event:

Event Details (Google Calendar link)

Talk: Health Insurance Benefits Package Redesign in Ethiopia

Speakers: Amanuel Yigezu

Date: Wednesday 29th of May

Time: 15:00 - 16:00 (Irish Standard Time)

Registration link:

https://tcd-ie.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYkceusrjojH9HW0TVnZSpcfXCuo0DvgrhQ

Location: Blended

  • In-person: Global Brain Health Institute Boardroom, Lloyd Building, Trinity College Dublin
  • Online link: In the registration link

Abstract

Ethiopia implemented community-based health insurance (CBHI) in 2011 as a key mechanism to improve access to health services, provide financial protection, and mobilise resources. In 2023, the country redesigned its health insurance benefits package (HIBP). The redesign process goes through a series of steps from identifying relevant interventions to setting priorities for the interventions to be included in the package. We used the burden of disease, cost-effectiveness (CEA), equity, financial risk protection (FRP), and political/public acceptability as criteria to redesign the package. Disease burden was defined using Disability Adjusted Life Year (DALY) and interventions that avert 90% of DALYs for the Ethiopian population were included. CEA of the interventions were collected through a rigorous systematic literature review. The interventions were then ranked based on their health benefits. Equity impact was estimated through a Delphi consensus technique by considering 4 equity dimensions (income, residence, gender, and age). FRP was estimated by selecting interventions that if not covered by the health insurance will expose the largest number of households to financial risk Then, the cost-effectiveness ratios of each intervention were adjusted using equity and FRP scores. Finally, the total cost of providing each intervention was calculated. Then, interventions were included in the package if their cumulative cost was within the range of the total health insurance budget for the year.

About the speaker

Amanuel Yigezu is a PhD student in health economics supervised by Professor Dominic Trépel at Trinity College Dublin, School of Medicine/Institute of Neuroscience. Before joining TCD, Amanuel was the project lead for the health insurance benefits package redesign in Ethiopia for the last two years at the Ethiopian Health Insurance Service. He supported the Ministry of Health of Ethiopia in estimating the cost-effectiveness of the health extension program of the country. He has also worked with the Ethiopian Public Health Institute, the University of Bergen, and the International Institute for Primary Health Care-Ethiopia on projects related to costing, economic evaluations, and Health Benefits Package Design.

Best wishes,

Daniel Araya-Ríos (he/him)

Ph.D. Candidate in Health Economics

School of Medicine / Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin