How easy it can go wrong

Andrew Williams

Jul 7, 2019, 1:37:29 PM7/7/19
to LLSC, AHPC
I got the following from a friend at the Belgian Open. The accident happened the day before the comp - so it never really made the news.......

I post - just as a reminder that it doesn’t necessarily take something drastic to have a significant accident.

Taking off and landing are the moments that the heart rate is up - and for good reason.

Stay safe folks

I watched a pilot launch and stumble backwards on a steep grassy launch the glider flew, he was dragged a bit which spun him so he had 2 twists in his risers. The glider turned and flew him into the hill. He was never higher than maybe 10m. It was a very heavy impact on his back but nothing crazy. Within 2 mins someone had stated CPR. 10 mins later they were still going and we knew it would not end well... defibrillator arrived 20 mins after impact, but I think by then he would have been irreversibly damaged. Helicopter and paramedics arrived about 25-30 mins after the impact. They tried for 5 mins before they gave up and wrapped him in a body bag and was flown down by chopper.

Conditions on launch were just perfect. All he did was to stumble as he pulled up.

It is not known as a difficult launch or a demanding or dangerous launch. It was a free flying day before the comp and the pilot was not a comp pilot.

Andrew