ZQuake's slow performance

Francisco Del Roio

Oct 23, 2013, 12:51:16 AM10/23/13
to Agrip Project

matatk

Oct 23, 2013, 5:04:05 PM10/23/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com, fran...@openmailbox.org
On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 05:51:16 UTC+1, Francisco Del Roio wrote:
I've downloaded the last engine binary for win32 but it runs very
slowly in my PC.

I have a netbook with 2GB RAM and an Intel atom 1,6GHZ4 processor.

It runs windows 7 and an Intel graphics card.

Can I do something to improve the performance?

We used to have a patch that removed the graphics rendering entirely from the engine.  This was a bit flaky and very hard to apply, but it was required because otherwise problems like these arose.  I thought that we were probably OK to continue without that patch, because assistive technologies got cleverer and computers got faster.  We may have to revisit it, if indeed that is the problem.  When we have a stable Windows release we will be able to get more information from the community about performance.

I will have a look when I'm next able to see if I can find a simpler way of disabling the graphics output.  It's a shame one can't run the game when minimised!

Meanwhile if anyone else is an expert on getting the most performance out of windows, let me know.  Ooh, one thing did just occur to me -- I wonder if you try to either make the game run fullscreen or windowed but with far fewer pixels (e.g. in 320x200 mode rather than 640x480 that might help).  How are you running the game currently?  For now you could hack about with the command line used in the AudioQuake.py script if that's how you're running it.  Change the resolution to something lower, such as the above.  Also remove the "window" command-line switch and see if that helps.

best regards,

Matthew

Francisco Del Roio

Oct 24, 2013, 12:21:19 AM10/24/13