Welcome!

matatk

Jun 24, 2012, 3:36:20 PM6/24/12
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Thanks for joining this new group for AudioQuake and the Level Description Language.  Sebby and I were delighted to find there's still quite a bit of interest in the project and getting to grips with making levels for the game.  I'm Matthew, one of the two initial developers.  You haven't heard much from me due to "real life getting in the way" as-it-were.  Anyway, there is now an opportunity for me to contribute a little bit of time and I'd like to bring things up-to-date and get the whole thing running a bit more smoothly on modern hardware.

A number of you have also suggested that github might be a better place to host the project and I'm thinking that maybe it would provide a lower barrier to entry.  They also offer free web-hosting (via making a "gh-pages" branch to your project, for the g33ks out there).  So I'm going to have a look into that.  I have also thought of some ways to make it much easier to install the game, by making the Perl and particularly Python bits into executables on the Windows side, so that they can run out-of-the-box.

I'm just putting these ideas on the table for now.  I am in the midst of recovering from op number seven and looking for jobs, but as the interest is still here I would like to make it easier for people to get hold of, use and develop AQ and the Level Description Language in particular, in new ways.

Very interested to hear your thoughts on all of this!

best regards,

Matthew

francip...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2012, 2:00:45 AM12/20/12
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew.

I am new to audioquake and I discobered the game at 2 weeks ago...
I like this game, and for the first time I'll play with my friends!

But because the project are outdated, I have some problems with the game, but I don't post these ere.

Also I like very much the ldl.

best regards,
--
Francisco Del Roio

matatk

Jan 15, 2013, 6:05:34 PM1/15/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com, francip...@gmail.com
Francisco,

Thanks very much for your message.  I am glad that you are enjoying AQ and LDL.  I have recently been trying to update the code to make it work better on modern machines.  So far I have got the engine working properly on my Mac.  I still have to re-write the launcher for Mac and Windows, but am hoping to do this soon.  I have also got some plans to make it easier to install and use LDL, so hopefully this will help you when it is done.

Currently it is not usable like the official version of the game is, but I am hoping that getting the code working again will help others build upon it.  I have also moved the code to github as it seems most developers in the AGRIP community preferred this idea to continuing to develop it on Launchpad with bazaar.

As I said, I hope to work on the code more in the near future and have something worth announcing to the list soon.  Until then, you can check on the progress of it at its new location on github: https://github.com/matatk/agrip

Thanks again for your post and I hope to have more news on the code soon.

best regards,

Matthew

francip...@gmail.com

May 24, 2013, 3:43:44 AM5/24/13