Windows build process and other development news

matatk

Jun 15, 2014, 5:37:48 PM6/15/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been able to make some time to work on some annoying bugs in the current process.  First of all, thanks to the GitHub user jkinnunen for helping me find a bug in the Build process for Windows, which means that you will now not get an error when trying to run the code when you've frozen it on Windows (unfortunately I am still working on better XP support -- sorry for the delay; I don't have an XP machine at the moment so this is quite hard).

Further, I have been trying to fix some annoying launcher bugs such as the Python process sticking around when it shouldn't.  This seems to be a bug in PyGUI and I am trying ot get to the bottom of it.

There is also a problem that the Windows Firewall dialog shows up in front of AudioQuake when it's first launched, but isn't very accessibly announced (especially if you've turned your screen readers off to launch the game).  This is really annoying -- and it's even made me wonder if we should actually be offering to use the user's existing screen reader, if they have one, somehow, rather than using our own TTS, but that'd be a big change, and it would actually be nice to have things work for people who don't even have a screen reader.

Sorry, again, that things are going so slowly -- we are, however, getting there!  I just want to make sure as many people as want to can still play the game.  I also hope that we could perhaps show off the Level Description stuff better, maybe even entice someone to come and improve it geometry-wise, if we are lucky! :-)

best regards,

Matthew

Shaun Everiss

Jun 16, 2014, 3:22:29 AM6/16/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Why are we worrying about xp now, its fine to suppoit guess but its
not supported by ms anymore.
There needs to be win7-8 support for uac and other stuff.
In particular since 64 bit systems can not run any dos apps anymore.
>--
>Visit this group at
><http://groups.google.com/group/agrip-project>http://groups.google.com/group/agrip-project.
>To view this discussion on the web, visit
><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/agrip-project/014a968e-f94a-4a33-8561-4e12a3174784%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/agrip-project/014a968e-f94a-4a33-8561-4e12a3174784%40googlegroups.com.
>For more options, visit
><https://groups.google.com/d/optout>https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

tony seth

Jun 16, 2014, 4:01:19 AM6/16/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hiya Matt: I'm using xp on most of my boxes, so will have to wait for
xp support and with a project like this, I'm willing to do that. That
said, thanks much for the update, does this mean that it simply won't
work on xp or that it's just a bit squirrely? I have a seven box but
it's weird sometimes on things it shouldn't be, still I'm willing to try it.
Am wondering though, can ya send me either a link to the instructions
or an e-mail lettin' me know how to do it? Thanks much and look forward
to playing with it.
Take care, Cheereo!

matatk

Jun 18, 2014, 6:01:26 PM6/18/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 16 June 2014 08:22:29 UTC+1, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Why are we worrying about xp now, its fine to suppoit  guess but its
not supported by ms anymore.
There needs to be win7-8 support for uac and other stuff.
In particular since 64 bit systems can not run any dos apps anymore.

I think that some people on the list still use XP :-).  Also, you should be able to run it fine on 64-bit systems.  It's a 32-bit Windows app, but it should run fine on 64-bit systems.

...when I have made a re-release on Windows, that is -- currently it can be compiled and run on Windows but I've not fixed all the niggles, so still working on that re-release.  Will keep you posted.

best regards,

Matthew

matatk

Jun 18, 2014, 6:05:54 PM6/18/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 16 June 2014 09:01:19 UTC+1, stringfellow wrote:
 Am wondering though, can ya send me either a link to the instructions
or an e-mail lettin' me know how to do it? Thanks much and look forward
to playing with it.

Currently the only way is to compile stuff manually, but that is now do-able on Windows.  The code and instructions are on GitHub, which isn't perfect accessiblity-wise, but I hope is good enough.  The instructions are on the web [1] but you could also simply download a ZIP of the latest code [2] if that's easier.  I have had a bug reported [3] that appears to show the launcher crashing whilst trying to use SAPI on XP, but haven't been able to test it for myself (or, thus, fix it) yet, alas.  Working on it, slowly but surely!

Some good news; I'm working with the PyGUI developer on some of the apparent bugs found there :-).

Cheers,

Matthew

tony seth

Jun 19, 2014, 9:36:58 PM6/19/14
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Matt, thanks much, and I'll go have a look and hopefully play with
it this weekend. Cheereo!