Compiling on debian

Francisco Del Roio

May 24, 2013, 12:53:57 PM5/24/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm building on Debian Testing. I have some Mesa and X11 development
packages, but I can't build the zquake engine.

I think that I don't have some library. Please tellme what I need to
build the zquake engine.

Thanks very much.

matatk

May 24, 2013, 5:21:46 PM5/24/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com, francip...@gmail.com
Hi,

Thanks for trying it out.  I am working on getting the documentation up-to-date to help people build AQ, so your help in ironing out the bugs in the process is appreciated!  I know that you will need to install the SDL library (the package is probably called libsdl-dev).  If you have not got it already you will also need OpenGL, though I think that's almost certainly on your system already.

Please let me know if that solves it for you.  There will likely be other problems with the build whilst we work on getting it nice and robust, but we'll get there in the end!

BTW I'm using a Mac, so it should be fairly similar to Linux but maybe some of the command line stuff is different.  I am trying to make the build scripts as general as possible, though.  You'll also need curl to download the support files needed to build a release.  There is one main build script, which is just called 'build' which will run all the other build scripts in order and will end up making that .app bundle.  I do not have a script to make a Linux release (it probably should make a tarball) yet.  However if you were to run build scripts 0 and 1 and just forget about 2 (the one that builds the app bundle) you should have a working mod directory, which can be combined with the compiled engine binary manually to allow you to run the game.

Depending on how used to development you are, perhaps you could make a build script that could be run after scripts 0 and 1 to make a Linux release.  If this all sounds a bit much then I'll make sure to work on writing one, to make it easier for you to compile and build a release on Linux.

Cheers,

Matthew

Francisco Del Roio

May 27, 2013, 5:38:22 AM5/27/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
El 24/05/13 18:21, matatk escribió:
I'll attach the output of the Makefile script for you. I've all of these
libraries, so it isn't the problem.

S2
--
Cuando tus fuerzas terminan, las de Dios comienzan...
salida

matatk

May 29, 2013, 5:00:53 AM5/29/13
to agrip-...@googlegroups.com, francip...@gmail.com
Hi,

Just about to leave for holiday and have been a bit snowed under with work, but have been able to have a look at the Makefile output.  It looks like the vidnull patch has been applied, though I would now recommend compiling it without this patch as it should not have a noticeable effect on performance and does make the code a lot more stable.

If that isn't the problem, you may also need the 'nasm' assembler to be installed as I think on Linux/x86 it may still use some assembly code.

I hope this fixes it for you; I'm making notes of all these problems so we can better document the build process in future, so thanks for your patience and I look forward to being able to help more actively when I return from my holiday next week.

best regards,

Matthew