WinAPEX_Issues on location, weather information and simulation

Ratnajit Saha

Sep 28, 2021, 1:14:45 PM9/28/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear Luca,

I am trying to operate WinAPEX. My study area location is Ontario, Canada. The location description option seems like fixed. But I was able to change latitude and longitude of study area boundary. In watershed information, I provided essential information for the study area and mentioned weather station name (Cobourg) where all the weather stations are indicated from Texas. I provided the specific weather-related information like days with rain, precipitation, Tmax and Tmin, standard deviation of Tmax, Tmin and Precipitation. I have attached the screen shot, please find. In the out file, it is still indicating “Daily weather file = TX3485.DLY”. How can I provide my specific study area location with appropriate information and get the get the out put information based on provided weather station info?

In the control file, I indicated years of simulation duration 40. In the 2nd row (beginning year), there was a default value 1960. In the out file of run, I have received only one year (2001) simulated value. Can I get the simulated values for the next 40 years? Then what I have to mention in the current beginning year option?

Can you please look on these issues in WinAPEX? Thanks in advance.

Location description in WinAPEX_1.jpgLocation description in WinAPEX_2.jpgWith regards,

Ratnajit

Luca

Sep 29, 2021, 6:39:05 AM9/29/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear Ratnajit,

It is a long time since the last time I used the WinAPEX interface but, the "location name" is not used by the model and, if I remember correctly, it is not really used by the interface itself. More important could be the latitude and longitude of the boundaries that you have already edited.
We do not have daily or monthly weather data for Canada, so, you will have to find this information and create the corresponding daily and/or monthly weather station. The weather station you have created can be selected using the window "edit subarea" (here is a link to download it: http://agrilife.org/epicapex/files/2014/09/winapexv0604_nov2006.pdf). The attached "Weather-import-user-manual.pdf" gives you information on how to create a weather station using your weather data.
I do not understand if the second problem you are having is caused by the model crashing because of some errors or because you are using the wrong weather station.

Please, read the user manual and test the WinAPEX interface using the default Central Texas database, and then try to replicate the same using your own data.

When you fill confident with the structure of the database, you can read the attached PDF "How to create a database and related files for your area using the central Texas database using weather import" to create a database that is specific for your area.

Let me know if you have any other question.
Best,
Luca

How to Create a Database and Related Files for Your Area Using the Central Texas Database using Weather Import.pdf
Weather-Import-User-Manual.pdf