soil water content output for APEX1501

Claire Baffaut

Jan 12, 2023, 11:02:25 AM1/12/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear all,

I am looking for soil water content outputs by subarea and by layer. The DCN output file does this but its format is difficult for post processing. Is there another output file that gives this information and that has a format easier to handle? (I looked at a previous message that gave suggestions for SWC output (2/22/22) but among those, the DCN is the only one that gives SWC by layer and by subarea.)

Also, I am getting SWC values > 1.00 in the top 10 mm of the soil profile. Since SWC is given in m/m, I do not understand what that means. I would appreciate any help to understand this.

Thank you very much for any help.
Claire Baffaut

Luca Doro

Jan 13, 2023, 3:07:34 AM1/13/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear Claire,

I am afraid that at the moment the DCN output file is the only one that provides the information you need.
About SWC>1, in my opinion, it means that the first soil layer is flooded.

Best,
Luca

Carlos Alberto Arnillas

Jan 13, 2023, 10:31:17 AM1/13/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear Claire
I have been working on an R code to read DCN output files (and most other APEX files). The code is mostly functional, so, if you are familiar with R, I can share it with you.
Best,

Carlos Alberto

Claire Baffaut

Jan 17, 2023, 10:03:08 AM1/17/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Thank you for the offer. Expecting that answer, we already started to write one. I think it will be operational today. Claire.

Claire Baffaut

Jan 17, 2023, 10:04:06 AM1/17/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
If it flooded, shouldn't that water be added to surface runoff?

Luca Doro

Jan 18, 2023, 3:15:55 AM1/18/23
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
It should, unless you have some barrier. Which version of the model are you using? Eventually, can you share the input files with me?

Luca