About nitrogen comparisons

Javier Fernando Mendez Monroy

Jun 21, 2021, 12:40:24 PM6/21/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear all.

I hope to find you safe an well during these times.

I am comparing nitrogen outputs with reported values from USGS stations. In APEX documentation there are two main outputs for Nitrogen; YN-Sediment transported N from subarea or reach and QN-Nitrogen in runoff. From USGS I am obtaining the following ones.

  • Nitrate:  mg/l as N and mg/l as NO3
  • Nitrite:  mg/l as N and mg/l asNO2
  • Nitrogen, mixed forms (NH3), (NH4), organic, (NO2) and (NO3): mg/l
  • Ammonia and ammonium:  mg/l as N and mg/l NH4
  • Inorganic nitrogen (nitrate and nitrite):  mg/l as N
  • Kjeldahl nitrogen: mg/l as N

I am comparing QN from APEX with Nitrate as NO3 from USGS.

I would like to ask you kindly if I am right or if you have any suggestion related to other comparisons I can do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luca

Jun 25, 2021, 11:07:34 AM6/25/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Dear Javier,

I would compare the model outputs against what is reported as N and not NO3.
I will try to find some time to look at the code to be sure of what I am suggesting you here.

Best,
Luca

Javier Fernando Mendez Monroy

Jul 2, 2021, 12:31:26 PM7/2/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Thank you so much.

I will be very attentive to your response.