SOIL BULK DENSITY Dynamics

Rem Confesor Jr.

Aug 9, 2021, 1:53:14 PM8/9/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Hello  to all,

I'm wondering if the equation in calculating  BD changes in APEX0806 (Equation 229, page 50, APEX0806 theortical doc) is still used in APEX 1501:

BD= 100/((WOC*1.724/0.244)+((100 – WOC*1.724) /BDM)))

If not, what is (are) the equation(s) used and are there any other changes in the theoretical doc for 1501?

Thanks,
-Rem-

Luca

Aug 10, 2021, 8:49:10 AM8/10/21
to EPIC / APEX Modeling Forum
Hi,

Looking at the model source code, I am not able to locate that exact equation. In APEX, the bulk density changes according to several aspects such as tillage operations, biological activity, and soil settling after rainfall.
Also, several things in APEX1501 are different from what is reported in the theoretical documentation of the old version of APEX. It is still a good reference of the main structure of the model, but now some processes might be simulated with an evolution of the original way or with an improved new approach.

Let us know if you need specific information about the model and how the processes are simulated.
Luca