Somatic Fabulous: CAConrad & Lester Robles O'Connor, Saturday 3/2, 7pm

Agitprop Reading Series

Feb 25, 2013, 9:41:10 PM2/25/13
to agitpro...@googlegroups.com

Dear Friends,

We are thrilled about our upcoming reading on Saturday, March 2 at 7pm and hope you can join us for an evening of wit, insight, tenderness and somatic-fabulousness with CAConrad and Lester Robles O’Connor.

Lester O’Connor writes in several genres, and also makes video work and street propaganda. He co-edited the pacific REVIEW and reviewed films for a defunct alt-weekly. He currently teaches for the Dimensions of Culture program at Marshall College, UCSD.

Of his work, poet Janice Lobo Sapigao writes, “He’s funny because he read a poem about the hipsters in the North Park region of San Diego. It’s like the Oakland Lakeshore, Los Angeles Silverlake and San Francisco Everywhere of San Diego — Hipsterlandia.”

CAConrad describes himself as "the son of white trash asphyxiation whose childhood included selling cut flowers along the highway for his mother and helping her shoplift. "He is the author of numerous collections of poetry including Deviant Propulsion (Soft Skull Press, 2006); Advanced Elvis Course (2009); The Book of Frank (Chax Press, 2009), recipient of the Gil Ott Book Award, reprinted by Wave Books in 2010; The City Real & Imagined (Factory School, 2010), with the poet Frank Sherlock; and A Beautiful Marsupial Afternoon (Wave Books, 2012).

The poet Eileen Myles writes that "[Conrad] always argues (from the inside of his poems) for a poetry of radical inclusivity while keeping a very queer shoulder to the wheel. His kind of queerness strikes me as nonpolarizing, not intentionally but because of the fullness of his exposition, a kind of gigantism that seems to me to be most deeply informed by love, and a tenderness for the ravages and tumult of existence."

As always, there is no cover charge for reading, but libations and donations for the readers are always welcome. We hope to see you there and for festivities before and after.

Agitprop
Saturday, March 2, 7pm
2837 University Avenue in North Park (Entrance on Utah, across from KFC. Map)
San Diego, CA 92104

Contact: K. Lorraine Graham: klorraine(at)gmail(dot)com