TDD Course

Andy Stewart

Dec 12, 2013, 4:23:51 AM12/12/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Once again a really great night at Agile Yorkshire this month.

Amongst the discussions one of the things that got me really thinking were some of the comments on TDD. There seemed to be a bit of confusion about what TDD is and that it means different things to different people.

The other comment seemed to be that dev teams would definitely like to start using TDD or improve their use of it but didn't necessarily know where to start.

I have often thought about putting a TDD course together but haven't done anything about it until this point. I would be interested to know if there are people out there who would be interested in attending such a course and/or fancied being a guinea pig for something if I put it together over xmas.

I sketched out something that could be run in a day or so, have a look and any feedback or interest is welcomed.

What is TDD
What makes a good test
Triangulation vs Parameterised tests
Refactoring
Mocking/Stubs/Doubles
Classical vs Mockist TDD
Test Data Builders and Object Mothers
Test Anti Patterns
Testing the impossible:
  - time, joda time, extracting timers, etc
  - async, latches, polling

Thanks,

Andy Stewart
Director

Mobile: 07974 646641

Bonney & Stewart Software Development Ltd, registered in England No. 6392134.

Registered Office Address: 19 Hillway, Guiseley, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS20 8HB.

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the intended recipient(s)") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is privileged and confidential within the meaning of applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender as soon as possible. The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by The Company.

Jack Hughes

Dec 12, 2013, 4:31:53 AM12/12/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com

[raises hand]

Hello Andy,

I've written a lot of tests (thousands) but think they can be improved especially the fixture setup part that often seems to end up being a bit of a mess.

Regards,

Jack

--[[ post: agi...@googlegroups.com ]]--

Andrew Vevers

Dec 12, 2013, 11:00:40 AM12/12/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested Andy. When were you thinking?

Charles Swires

Dec 12, 2013, 4:24:08 PM12/12/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com

I’d be interested cheers Charlie

Dec 12, 2013, 5:45:03 PM12/12/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

It looks like a few people would be interested. I guess  I would be looking at doing something on maybe a Sat or Sun back end of Jan/start of Feb. That would give me time to get everything together and have a run through or two. I will contact a mate who has some office space as I reckon he would be interested in the course as well.

I have the email addresses of people who have replied so far. If anyone else is interested then ping me back an email to andy.s...@bssd.co.uk

I will sent an email out towards the end of next week to interested parties to firm things up.

Thanks,
Andy