Ruby developer required

Sean Craig

May 30, 2013, 8:47:33 AM5/30/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com

NHS Choices are looking for an experienced Ruby developer, ideally with exposure to Scala who is happy working in both Rails and non-rails frameworks. Strong SQL experience, as well as an open-minded attitude to using NoSQL data storage systems, and an interest in service oriented architectures is a big plus.

We are looking to build on the existing Ruby skills within our ,currently mainly .Net oriented, team and the successful applicant must be able to mentor other developers to assist with this cross skilling.

We use agile/lean software practices to deliver www.nhs.uk , the second largest government website in the UK with 6.5million site visits per week.

The role is based in Leeds but there may be occasional travel to London.

This is a permanent role with a salary up to £45k.

Please contact me with CV's and for more info.

Sean Craig

Head of Development

NHS Choices

Sean....@nhs.net

Tel: 0113 3974393

Ash Moran

Jun 2, 2013, 9:37:19 AM6/2/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I've just forwarded it to the NWRUG and ShRUG mailing lists, although they might be a bit out of range of most for a job in Leeds. Interesting to see a Ruby job on Agile Yorkshire though :-)

Ash
> --
> --
> --[[ post: agi...@googlegroups.com ]]--

http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashmoran

Jabbar Azam

Jun 2, 2013, 1:43:24 PM6/2/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

Sounds like an interesting job.  I wish I was a non rails noob :( Surprised to see the interesting range of technologies being used. Didn't realise the nhs was that forward thinking :) I wonder if they'll be thinking of using noSQL for storing customer records! Cassandra?

Thanks

Jabbar Azam

Sean Craig

Jun 3, 2013, 2:55:47 AM6/3/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
@Ash
Thanks much appreciated.

@Jabbar
It's nice to be able to surprise every now and again. ;>)

You might find this link interesting. It's the technical stack used by the Government Digital Service on gov.uk.
http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/colophon-beta/

noSQL probably but our team mainly deal with the website and not patient/customer  records

Sean Craig

Jabbar Azam

Jun 3, 2013, 8:26:42 AM6/3/13
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Sean,

Funnily enough the hardware architecture resembles what's required in the job description.
An interesting mix of technologies. Not your normal boring "enterprise" technology stack.

Thanks

Jabbar Azam