Topics?

1 view

Ben Rady

Oct 23, 2007, 12:19:36 AM10/23/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com

Venkat Subramaniam has agreed to speak at our next meeting on November 7th. Any suggestions for topics?

Ben

Jim Bethancourt

Oct 23, 2007, 12:32:03 AM10/23/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,
How about a talk on "How to pull off the 'Oops!  How did that Jar get into source control?  Gee, it's soooo useful!' without loosing your job"  I've come across a couple of articles/blogs about the topic, but in all reality navigating politics in almost any development environment can be difficult when you're not a consultant, and would be really helpful to learn about.  Not sure if AgileHouston would be the best place to learn about it, but maybe it could be framed in an Agile context?

Thanks,
Jim

cisco

Oct 23, 2007, 4:42:11 PM10/23/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
I know he had a recent talk on DSL's so that may be redundant for some(i had to miss the software conf @ uh to help my sister buy a car... toyota dealerships ..yuk) but i wouldn't mind as i have little to no knowledge on the subject.   in any case it's always enjoyable to attend a venkat talk so i'm up for anything.

Where is this meeting taking place?

Ben Rady

Oct 23, 2007, 4:45:56 PM10/23/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about the location yet.

John Salch

Dec 18, 2007, 9:17:14 AM12/18/07
to agilehouston
I have tried to get a hold of Eric Evans but haven't had any luck. If
anyone else knows a good DSL speaker, let me know, I will be happy to
try to arrange this topic... there is a lot of interest in it.

On Oct 23, 2:42 pm, cisco <cisco.hernan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know he had a recent talk on DSL's so that may be redundant for some(i had
> to miss the software conf @ uh to help my sister buy a car... toyota
> dealerships ..yuk) but i wouldn't mind as i have little to no knowledge on
> the subject. in any case it's always enjoyable to attend a venkat talk so
> i'm up for anything.
>
> Where is this meeting taking place?

subdigital

Dec 20, 2007, 12:16:25 AM12/20/07
to agilehouston
John,

You might try Scott Bellware. He lives in Austin and would probably
have a talk already prepared. He's an excellent speaker. Oren Eini
would also be a great choice, however he lives in Israel ;).

Sam Larbi

Dec 20, 2007, 8:05:13 AM12/20/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
I thought Venkat Subrmaniam would probably have a good DSL presentation.  Dunno when he would be in town though.

Regards,

Sammy Larbi

Matthew Stevenson

Dec 20, 2007, 11:05:53 AM12/20/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
Scott Bellware is a really good speaker and is good with DSLs. I
believe he was the one who set up the DSL talk at the ALT.Net
conference, although not much got accomplished that session.

John Salch

Dec 21, 2007, 11:31:56 AM12/21/07
to agilehouston
Ok, I have reached out to Scott. Let's see where that goes... if
unsuccessful, I will try the other speakers...

Thanks for the ideas...

On Dec 20, 10:05 am, "Matthew Stevenson" <dak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott Bellware is a really good speaker and is good with DSLs. I
> believe he was the one who set up the DSL talk at the ALT.Net
> conference, although not much got accomplished that session.
>
> On Dec 20, 2007 7:05 AM, Sam Larbi <sla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought Venkat Subrmaniam would probably have a good DSL presentation.
> > Dunno when he would be in town though.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Sammy Larbi

Jim Bethancourt

Dec 21, 2007, 12:08:58 PM12/21/07
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
I had the opportunity to talk with Stuart Halloway at NFJS Austin on Friday night at the bar, and he described some really interesting scenarios he ran into on Agile Projects.  For example, their contract was for 80% test coverage, but his team felt better about their code having 100% test coverage.  Another thing he mentioned was having all teams in a development shop having iterations start and end on the same day, allowing the executives to get a better picture of the heartbeat of all of the development teams in the company, allowing them to report much better to stakeholders and shareholders. Jay Zimmerman may be willin to send Stuart or another speaker from the NFJS tour may be able to come an speak at an AgileHouston meeting as a teaser of sorts for the NFJS roadshow stops, or perhaps play a role in getting NFJS back to Houston.

Cheers,
Jim