Re: [agilehouston] MacBook + Vista + MS SQL Server was: iPhone and OSx

1 view

Sammy Larbi

Apr 18, 2008, 7:54:59 AM4/18/08
to agileh...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM, cisco <cisco.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

get a live demo of vista inside a mac.

If you run Vista on yours and can get MS SQL Server (the DB server, not just the Management Studio and tools) let me know!  That's one of the two problems I've had.  (The other is that when the display goes to sleep, sometimes it won't wake up.)

Sam

cisco

Apr 18, 2008, 12:59:29 PM4/18/08
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
What problems did you have running sql server?  I might need to take a vista and sql server dvd up there and hope that they will be willing to demo it for me... crossing fingers here!  maybe i'm asking too much of the mac guys here

btw, you said you never worked with parallels or vmware, right? you simply dual boot?

Sammy Larbi

Apr 18, 2008, 1:23:46 PM4/18/08
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:59 AM, cisco <cisco.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
What problems did you have running sql server?  I might need to take a vista and sql server dvd up there and hope that they will be willing to demo it for me... crossing fingers here!  maybe i'm asking too much of the mac guys here

From what I can remember/tell, it seemed like a Vista problem . I was trying to install the developer version of SQL Server, and it just wouldn't install the DB part - it wouldn't allow the option to choose it, only the tools.  All versions of .NET were on.  I'll try again soon, but it wasn't working several months ago.  Could have been Apple's drivers for Windows, but I'm not sure really.

btw, you said you never worked with parallels or vmware, right? you simply dual boot?

I got vmware fusion and had it running in there, but Vista is too much of a memory (I have 2 GB) and processor hog (core 2 duo 2.4 Ghz) to work in that (virtual machine) environment all day, so yes, I dual boot.

Sam

cisco

Apr 18, 2008, 3:43:09 PM4/18/08
to agileh...@googlegroups.com
sql server 2000 doesn't work on vista.  Some flavors of vista won't let you install their server products, if i remeber correctly.  I've been using ultimate edition since for a long time so i haven't had issues.  I'll let you know about it once i get going

I'm looking at getting 4GB of memory but apple sells it for a nice chunk of change.  www.crucial.com has a full 4GB for 105$

thanks again guys