Re: [AgileGames] Abridged summary of agilegames@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Allan Kelly

Aug 8, 2022, 10:29:28 AM8/8/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I've run my version of the XP Game - something I call the extended XP Game - with plenty of non-IT people, often in mixed classes.

It works just fine, I find the learning points just come, I ask questions like "How does that resemble your work?" or "How might you apply that to your work?"

I find 2 big differences: time estimation and "product owner" - both with the game and in the actual work.

It turns out that in many fields - conference organising, HR, accounts, sales - the "how long do you think this will take?" question is never asked. Time estimation, as software developers practice it, just does not exist. Rather most of the work is deadline driven. This seeds a great conversation about whether time estimation would be useful to them, whether the could do it, and how it works with deadlines.

And to the Customer/PO role which I have in my Extended XP Game, this is rear outside of software too. It appears that in many roles there is enough customer contact that the workers are knowledgeable about what customers want. Again this leads to a conversation about whether having someone on point for prioritising customer needs (and saying no) would be useful or a step back wards.

allan

allan kelly +44 773 310 7131 - www.allankelly.net
               Book a debut call: http://calendly.com/allankelly
          Subscribe for updates: http://allankelly.net/subscribe
------ Delightfully dyslexic: please enjoy my diverse spelling ------
On 6 Aug 2022, 19:18 +0100, agile...@googlegroups.com, wrote:
MA <m.as...@gmail.com>: Aug 06 03:13AM -0700

Hi,

I want to run XP game in non IT companies. Has anyone any experience about
it?
Please let me know about that.

Thanks,
Mehri
...more
Yves Hanoulle <mai...@hanoulle.be>: Aug 06 06:48PM +0200

yes I have

What is your goal. What do you want to teach them?
What is the industry of the company and what does the team do?

yves

--
*Yves Hanoulle (he/him) *0476 43 38 32 ...more

MA

Aug 9, 2022, 10:13:34 AM8/9/22
to AgileGames
Thanks allan.

Did you just run a 4 hour XP game session for  them or this game was the beginning of the training course?
I want to teach agility to non-IT people, like you.

Mehri

Allan Kelly

Aug 11, 2022, 2:20:34 PM8/11/22
to AgileGames
The game is almost the first thing I do in a agile course, I can keep coming back and mining lessons. I call my version "Extended" because I've added a lot on estimation and value to the version I originally saw 15+ years ago.

I find the game can take anything from an hour upwards, typically I try and get it done in 90 minutes but 2 hours is probably more realistic, I've even let it take over the whole morning.

I wrote a blog about the estimation data I've collected from the game a couple of years back: https://www.allankelly.net/archives/2238/estimation-planning-teams-and-money-some-data/

allan

MA

Aug 16, 2022, 2:38:32 PM8/16/22