Asking for help: something like Ball Point Game, but 100% online

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 23, 2019, 5:03:57 PM8/23/19
to AgileGames
Hi, all!

Will you help me with a game that offers all the learning and ease-of-play of Ball Point Game, but can be played 100% online? Each participant is present via Zoom; solo video feeds, one person per camera. Simple props are allowed - anything that they could purchase at a local store, create themselves with household materials, or I could mail to them props.

What do you think is possible?

Cheers!

Derek W. Wade

Aug 23, 2019, 9:53:22 PM8/23/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Fire up LeanKit.

Make a card with a bunch of subtasks, one for each player.

Clone card a lot.

Each member has to check their task.

Could do same w trello actually.
Added debriefing fun:
“The electronic tool caused collisions between players to have greater impact. In what ways do our tools increase the transaction cost of a handoff?”

--
Pardon my brevity; sent while mobile.

David Greenfield

Aug 23, 2019, 10:02:47 PM8/23/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard!

Great question.

I like Derek's approach. Perhaps an improvement could involve a prescribed or preset (but arbitrary, like alpha order) sequencing of tasks/participant-names/numbers, highlighting bottlenecks and multitasking costs, and limits of having unavailable people.

David Greenfield

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 24, 2019, 2:11:56 PM8/24/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com, David Greenfield
Yes, great ideas! Thank you, Derek and David!

Maybe something like this:
- Goal is to complete as many tasks as possible.
- To complete a task, every person in the team has been assigned to it exactly once.
- One person is the assigned first person - must be the first person working on the task. (like: the person who holds the bag in a typical Ball Point solution)
- The next person can’t be immediately before or after you alphabetically by name. (like: can’t pass a ball to the person on your immediate left or right in Ball Point)

What else do we have for ideas? :-)

Cheers!

--
Richard Kasperowski

Shyam Kumar

Aug 24, 2019, 6:22:57 PM8/24/19
to AgileGames
Richard - each card has a number between 1 & 6 and the person rolls a dice till such time he/she get the number.  Introduces some randomness to the effort.  And also relies on personal integrity to roll the dice till such time that the desired number appears.

Makes sense?

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 25, 2019, 9:55:47 AM8/25/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Another good idea - thanks, Shyam!

--
Richard Kasperowski

On August 24, 2019 at 18:22:59, 'Shyam Kumar' via AgileGames (agile...@googlegroups.com) wrote:

Richard - each card has a number between 1 & 6 and the person rolls a dice till such time he/she get the number.  Introduces some randomness to the effort.  And also relies on personal integrity to roll the dice till such time that the desired number appears.

Makes sense?

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 29, 2019, 4:26:27 PM8/29/19
to David Greenfield, agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all!

You’re invited! I’m going to play-test a game that’s like Ball Point Game, but 100% online.

When: Friday, September 6, at 1:00 PM ET (Boston)

Want to join me? Let me know, and see you there!

Cheers!

--
Richard Kasperowski

George Dinwiddie

Aug 30, 2019, 9:27:40 AM8/30/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Richard,

That sounds interesting. I'd like to try to make it, but I'm not sure I
can commit in advance.

- George

On 8/29/19 4:26 PM, Richard Kasperowski wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> You’re invited! I’m going to play-test a game that’s like Ball Point
> Game, but 100% online.
>
> When: Friday, September 6, at 1:00 PM ET (Boston)
> Where: https://zoom.us/j/692171374
>
> Want to join me? Let me know, and see you there!
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Richard Kasperowski
>
> On August 24, 2019 at 14:06:42, Richard Kasperowski
> (kaspe...@gmail.com <mailto:kaspe...@gmail.com>) wrote:
>
>> Yes, great ideas! Thank you, Derek and David!
>>
>> Maybe something like this:
>> - Goal is to complete as many tasks as possible.
>> - To complete a task, every person in the team has been assigned to it
>> exactly once.
>> - One person is the assigned first person - must be the first person
>> working on the task. (like: the person who holds the bag in a typical
>> Ball Point solution)
>> - The next person can’t be immediately before or after you
>> alphabetically by name. (like: can’t pass a ball to the person on your
>> immediate left or right in Ball Point)
>>

>> What else do we have for ideas? :-)
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Richard Kasperowski
>>
>> On August 23, 2019 at 22:02:46, David Greenfield
>> (d.b.gre...@gmail.com <mailto:d.b.gre...@gmail.com>) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Richard!
>>>
>>> Great question.
>>>
>>> I like Derek's approach. Perhaps an improvement could involve a
>>> prescribed or preset (but arbitrary, like alpha order) sequencing of
>>> tasks/participant-names/numbers, highlighting bottlenecks and
>>> multitasking costs, and limits of having unavailable people.
>>>
>>> David Greenfield
>>>

>>> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019, 8:53 PM Derek W. Wade <dw...@kumido.com
>>> <mailto:dw...@kumido.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Fire up LeanKit.
>>>
>>> Make a card with a bunch of subtasks, one for each player.
>>>
>>> Clone card a lot.
>>>
>>> Each member has to check their task.
>>>
>>> Could do same w trello actually.
>>> Added debriefing fun:
>>> “The electronic tool caused collisions between players to have
>>> greater impact. In what ways do our tools increase the
> [...]

Consultant and Coach

Hobbs, Lisa

Aug 30, 2019, 1:31:45 PM8/30/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com

Hi Richard –

I and a few members of my team would love to join!

Thank you!

Lisa

It appears that you have subscribed to commercial messages from this sender. To stop receiving such messages from this sender, please unsubscribe

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 30, 2019, 1:40:04 PM8/30/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful! See you all there!

The details, once again, are:

When: Friday, September 6, at 1:00 PM ET (Boston)

All are welcome. Cheers!

--
Richard Kasperowski

Vivek Khattri

Aug 31, 2019, 5:24:02 PM8/31/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Richard, I am looking forward to this session! Thank you.

--
Vivek Khattri
Co-founder and Lead Trainer

Dillon Weyer

Sep 2, 2019, 3:37:43 AM9/2/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com, David Greenfield
Hi Richard, I unfortunately can't make that time. Any chance you could record the session and share?

--
Kind Regards
Dillon Weyer

Richard Kasperowski

Sep 5, 2019, 2:16:56 PM9/5/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com, Dillon Weyer, David Greenfield
Hi, Dillon! I will ask the group whether it’s OK. If they say yes, I’ll share the video. Cheers!

--
Richard Kasperowski

Greg Hutchings

Sep 5, 2019, 2:29:37 PM9/5/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com, Dillon Weyer, David Greenfield
Hi Richard
Please sign me up - I'll join if I can from Paris.  I facilitated a 180 person f2f bp game this summer for a client here which went well.  I'd like to see your online version!

sell...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2019, 1:57:07 AM9/6/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard!

Sounds like fun. I will try to join.

Salah

Robert Schnurr

Sep 16, 2019, 4:15:14 PM9/16/19
to AgileGames
Richard,  How did this game turn out online?  Did you record it?

Dillon Weyer

Sep 17, 2019, 1:39:01 AM9/17/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Also keen to know

Dan Neumann

Sep 17, 2019, 2:20:39 PM9/17/19
to agile...@googlegroups.com

I’ll let Richard give his perspective, but from mine it was a great experience with some learnings from it.  It was recorded and we had several tweaks that could be made to make it even more awesome. I don’t have a link to the recording to share, however.

Ninad Lokhande

Sep 17, 2019, 2:45:10 PM9/17/19
to AgileGames
Can you share recordings pls? Keen to know tweaks as well.

Vander Lauriano da Silva

Oct 30, 2019, 7:50:37 AM10/30/19
to AgileGames
Hi all,

I would like to know the learnings. I think would be helpful to our community.

Bachan Anand

Aug 4, 2020, 4:23:29 PM8/4/20
to AgileGames
Hi Richard,

I was looking for playing Ball Point Game online. Could you please share any notes/ videos you have ?

-Bachan Anand

Richard Kasperowski

Aug 5, 2020, 4:14:07 PM8/5/20
to agile...@googlegroups.com, Bachan Anand
Hi, Bachan!

I don't have a video to share - but I do have the game to share. Check out the Agile Point Game on Miro https://miro.com/miroverse/category/workshops/agile-point-game. This is the perfected "online ball point game", and it's there for everyone to use. Let me know if you want any help with it.

Be well!

--
Richard Kasperowski | Certified Agile Team Building™
Join thousands of high performers—subscribe to my newsletter at kasperowski.com

9289C6 654C9B

Aug 7, 2020, 4:41:22 PM8/7/20
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
may i participate on September the 6th to your online like Ball Point Game?
i am looking forward to meet you virtually and play with you
thanks in advance
best regards
Stéphane

ps:i am located in Germany (+6 hours compare to Boston timezone)

PRIME HOLLAND

Aug 8, 2020, 2:57:28 AM8/8/20
to agile...@googlegroups.com
I will join as well. Thank you for the opportunity, we need more of these activities.
Regards
Daniel

Vander Lauriano da Silva

Aug 8, 2020, 4:34:45 AM8/8/20
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This activity was performed last year.

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 Aug 2020, at 08:57, PRIME HOLLAND <primeh...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AgileGames" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/agilegames/CAJthcQ2fPXCzroZY-Rd7Zfxz8hAiMJeYsbmwc8rkvX%2By3M6%3DFA%40mail.gmail.com.