Systems Thinking and Perspective Taking games online

Mark Levison

Mar 10, 2022, 11:31:44 AM3/10/22
to agilegames
I'm attempting to introduce the rudiments of system's thinking to a group of Execs, Managers and Doers in a few weeks. I would like to find a game that I can use to get the ball rolling with respect the core concept:
- problems don't exist in isolation
- work isn't just have a series of parts

I've gone through my well used System's Thinking Playbook (can we say a kindle edition is dog eared). There are two games I can see working well for this purpose:
- Circles in the Air (from the playbook)
- The Ballpoint game with a debrief focused on the system (inspired by Jeff Kosciejew - https://www.slideshare.net/JeffKosciejew/systems-thinking-with-the-ball-point-game-ab-2019)
(adapting the ball point game to virtual - either Pierre's approach: https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lRWr5YQ=/ or https://www.tastycupcakes.org/2020/04/ball-point-wfh-game/)

What have you tried? What worked? What will blow up in my face?

Cheers
Mark

Pierre Neis

Mar 11, 2022, 2:14:08 AM3/11/22
to AgileGames
Hey Mark

The ball point game is more a flow game than a system's thinking game.
I would recommend to take a look at Constellation Games or the Sociogramme Game

I tried a lot of games and now I combined games together in one big story line. For example, for a leadership training for Hotel Executives, the whole training was a sequence of 17 games each of it addressing a specific lesson to learn.

Another great game that I use a lot is Draw how to make toast http://www.drawtoast.com.

Hope it helps

Pierre E. NEIS
CAC, CEST, CBAC, CSPPO, CSP, CSPO, PSM, PAA
MIT & BCG Alumni

Agile Org Coach & Consultant
🇨🇭 CH-8330 Pfäffikon ZH
✉︎: pierr...@agilesqr.com
☎︎: +41 (0)76 247 1881

Online Booking:: https://neis.youcanbook.me

Author of The New Normal : AO concepts and patterns of 21-st century agile organizations. Buy here

Scharlau, Dr Bruce A.

Mar 11, 2022, 4:54:46 AM3/11/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com

Pierre,

I like the win win game. That sounds useful and I think I can see where I might use it.

Based on comments and suggestions from Ellen Grove I use ‘draw rice’ instead of toast as it’s more culturally inclusive – not everyone has toast, but everyone does rice. This makes the question ‘how do you cook rice?’ and works very well in multicultural situations. This is also how I learned some people add spice to their rice cooking. Who knew?

--

cheers,

Bruce

Dr. Bruce Scharlau

Dept. of Computing Science

Meston Building, Room 225

University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen AB24 3UE

01224 272193

http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/b.scharlau/pages

http://twitter.com/scharlau

mailto:b.sch...@abdn.ac.uk

From: <agile...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Pierre Neis <pierr...@gmail.com>
Reply to: "agile...@googlegroups.com" <agile...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Friday, 11 March 2022 at 07:14
To: AgileGames <agile...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [AgileGames] Systems Thinking and Perspective Taking games online

CAUTION: External email. Ensure this message is from a trusted source before clicking links/attachments.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/agilegames/CAKdumQd1n1wVpXGbXKk7HfAh-zk1J1CkG%3D1%2BzRdz16CW_svX8Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.

Pierre Neis

Mar 11, 2022, 5:28:57 AM3/11/22
to AgileGames
Hi Bruce
Good point, Draw what (your thing) is helping.
When I facilitated it in front of 150 SAP Experts, I started with the toast as a warm up. In the afternoon, I was happy to see teams working on (Draw my supply chain), (Draw my P2P), etc...
For Executive committees in an M&A context, I change the wording enhancing it with clean questions:
- and what kind of M&A is your M&A?
  • 1. draw it
  • 2. then use stickies
  • 3. then collectively
  • 4. Then ask: when it runs at its best, it's running like what?
  • 5. Please sort your cards in Who? What? and Where?
  • 6. Can we cadence it? (It runs at its best at the end of this year, and then roll back till now)
  • 7. Who is needed: we, our teams, our experts, our vendors (sociogramme)
  • 8. Picture the whole: vision, early strategy (roadmap), sociogramme

Pierre E. NEIS
CAC, CEST, CBAC, CSPPO, CSP, CSPO, PSM, PAA
MIT & BCG Alumni

Agile Org Coach & Consultant
🇨🇭 CH-8330 Pfäffikon ZH
✉︎: pierr...@agilesqr.com
☎︎: +41 (0)76 247 1881

Online Booking:: https://neis.youcanbook.me

Author of The New Normal : AO concepts and patterns of 21-st century agile organizations. Buy here

Mark Levison

Mar 11, 2022, 12:46:57 PM3/11/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com, Pierre Neis
@Pierre Neis and @Bruce thanks for the responses

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 2:14 AM Pierre Neis <pierr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Mark

The ball point game is more a flow game than a system's thinking game.

Yes I would agree, I reached because I had gotten stuck/fixated and I knew it.
I would recommend to take a look at Constellation Games or the Sociogramme Game

Sociogramme - another new one - is that: https://sociogramcreator.com but turned into a game?

I tried a lot of games and now I combined games together in one big story line. For example, for a leadership training for Hotel Executives, the whole training was a sequence of 17 games each of it addressing a specific lesson to learn.

That is effectively where I'm going in the long run

Another great game that I use a lot is Draw how to make toast http://www.drawtoast.com.

That's the one that I had totally forgotten inspite of the fact I used it ~1 mth ago. Doh.

@Bruce Cooking rice is an interesting change. I will add it to the mix to try.

Interesting, I just added this to Obsidian vault to remember for another time

Cheers
Mark

George Dinwiddie

Mar 13, 2022, 12:20:18 PM3/13/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I don't have a game to recommend, but I think I would lead the creation
of a Diagram of Effects. I would try to discover multiple feedback loops
so that people can grasp the complexity.

If you want to explore that with me, we (and others here) could try it
out virtually and see how it goes.

- George

On 3/10/22 11:31 AM, Mark Levison wrote:
> I'm attempting to introduce the rudiments of system's thinking to a
> group of Execs, Managers and Doers in a few weeks. I would like to find
> a game that I can use to get the ball rolling with respect the core concept:
> - problems don't exist in isolation
> - work isn't just have a series of parts
>
> I've gone through my well used System's Thinking Playbook (can we say a
> kindle edition is dog eared). There are two games I can see working well
> for this purpose:
> - Circles in the Air (from the playbook)
> - The Ballpoint game with a debrief focused on the system (inspired
> by Jeff Kosciejew -
> https://www.slideshare.net/JeffKosciejew/systems-thinking-with-the-ball-point-game-ab-2019
> <https://www.slideshare.net/JeffKosciejew/systems-thinking-with-the-ball-point-game-ab-2019>)
> (adapting the ball point game to virtual - either Pierre's approach:
> https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lRWr5YQ=/
> <https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lRWr5YQ=/> or
> https://www.tastycupcakes.org/2020/04/ball-point-wfh-game/
> <https://www.tastycupcakes.org/2020/04/ball-point-wfh-game/>)
>
> What have you tried? What worked? What will blow up in my face?
>
> Cheers
> Mark

Consultant and Coach https://pragprog.com/titles/gdestimate/

Simon JAILLAIS

Mar 14, 2022, 1:55:12 PM3/14/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

I love the Systemic triangle. Works so well face to face and remote.

Remote, I ask participants to write their names on post it on their preferred platform and use the post it instead of their body (face to face).

Let me know what you think,

Simon
Cheers from Brittany

Pierre Neis

Mar 15, 2022, 7:43:40 AM3/15/22
to agile...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Simon

PierreNEIS
Senior Agile Coach | Organizational Developer
Www.agilesqr.comYou can book me