eDelivery Team 'The Key'

StephGray

Feb 1, 2009, 7:20:34 PM2/1/09
to Agile Procurement
I hestitate to put this forward, but I raised it in the discussion
yesterday as an example of one group in government who are trying (at
least) to make it easier for innovative IT firms to reach IT decision-
makers:

'The Key', a directory and 'dragons den'-style process for promoting
small, innovative firms to government procurers:
http://gic.clicksandlinks.co.uk/opencms/opencms/about/

There's also some stuff going on under the auspices of the CIO
Council:
http://www.cio.gov.uk/public_sector_network/buyer_forum.asp

Finally, I'm dimly aware that the trade body Intellect UK (which
represents mainly larger firms in the IT industry, but some small ones
too) is doing some work with procurement folk in government about the
interface between suppliers and clients to iron out some of the pain
points...
http://www.intellectuk.org/content/view/802/24/

emma mulqueeny

Feb 2, 2009, 4:04:56 AM2/2/09
to agile-pr...@googlegroups.com
The Key? Sorry, read this:

Therefore, in order for a supplier to showcase their product or solution at The Key, they are required to have gone through this partnering process and have been deemed to be an approved partner. This standard is outlined in the Government Gateway Partner Approval document, which is available  on request from EDT.

In addition, The Key provides exhibiting companies with access to support and mentoring services enabling them to showcase their innovative products and solutions across the public sector.

This is a cash cow for EDT, they will charge stupid money on top of anyone's service, plus you need to go through the usual hoops to partner, absolutely sickening, if you ask me.

CIO council stuff: quarterly meetings = not what I think we are talking about here.

Intellect: massive consultancy, part of the problem

Er this is kind of my point?! All of these examples...

--
www.emmamulqueeny.com
cause: www.justicefortom.com

alex

Feb 2, 2009, 9:00:52 AM2/2/09
to Agile Procurement
Hi

Have just spoken with Harry in Norwich

I suggested

1) we find a risk-taking buyer at OGCbuying solutions

2) we talk with PA Consulting who designed a solution for Wales
https://www.buy4wales.co.uk/UsefulResources/valuewalesp.html

I have a contact at PA who can hopefully find us talented people
within government procurement who will get this.

Agree with Emma not Intellect ( who are a lobby group effectively for
their own )

3) How did No. 10 hire d...@vebrig.gs OR how did Tom Watson find the £
10,000 - suggestion is they took risks among their other actions

Alex

On 2 Feb, 09:04, emma mulqueeny <mulq...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The Key? Sorry, read this:
>
> *Therefore, in order for a supplier to showcase their product or solution at
> The Key, they are required to have gone through this partnering process and
> have been deemed to be an approved partner. This standard is outlined in the
> Government Gateway Partner Approval document, which is available  on request
> from EDT.*
>
> *In addition, The Key provides exhibiting companies with access to support
> and mentoring services enabling them to showcase their innovative products
> and solutions across the public sector. *

emma mulqueeny

Feb 2, 2009, 9:10:22 AM2/2/09
to agile-pr...@googlegroups.com
Those individual hirings are done effectively naughtily by posting the person you need through an agency already on a roster - giving the middle man money for nothing, but this is becoming increasingly difficult to do. Mandating the use of GovGap in COI might be an idea, but that is government paying government for individuals, which is a bit silly, and some departments STILL require competitive tender through their own HR.

WHY of WHY would we need to speak to PA Consulting?!!!!
--
www.emmamulqueeny.com
cause: www.justicefortom.com

alex

Feb 3, 2009, 7:44:28 AM2/3/09
to Agile Procurement
If you post people using a middle man, would it not make sense to
create a not for profit middle man company owned by the government to
supply these people, or is that crowding out the private sector ?

Only suggested we speak to PA to find out information on where are the
progressive buyers, as they have sorked for so long with OGC and
OGCbuying solutions

StephGray

Feb 3, 2009, 11:22:10 AM2/3/09
to Agile Procurement
Kinda... I think there's some genuine desire there though to promote
innovative IT firms. But by trying to make the process self-funding, I
think they've lost the incentives you'd need for that to happen. They
had set up a framework to help small firms get through procurement -
Pygmalion - but I can't find mention of that anywhere now.

CIOs are important here, and if the format of the current meetings is
a barrier, then we should suggest to them (we have some friendly
contacts there, right?) what might be needed.

Intellect: as a trade body, they do already do some work to facilitate
requirements-gathering, pre-tender sessions with government clients
and suppliers - the fact is that government work is not a walk in the
park for either side, even if the bottom line is that it turns out to
be quite profitable for the big consultancies. I think Intellect could
be friends here, since they understand many of the issues and players
even if their membership doesn't reflect the whole marketplace.
Having met with them, I definitely wouldn't call them a big
consultancy.

Steph

On 2 Feb, 09:04, emma mulqueeny <mulq...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The Key? Sorry, read this:
>
> *Therefore, in order for a supplier to showcase their product or solution at
> The Key, they are required to have gone through this partnering process and
> have been deemed to be an approved partner. This standard is outlined in the
> Government Gateway Partner Approval document, which is available on request
> from EDT.*
>
> *In addition, The Key provides exhibiting companies with access to support
> and mentoring services enabling them to showcase their innovative products
> and solutions across the public sector. *

Em

Feb 3, 2009, 12:30:17 PM2/3/09
to Agile Procurement
Hmm, Steph, I bow to you as I know you know both sides and have been
heavily involved in COI...

Do you think that this is worthy of an open physical discussion,
formally done with a carefully crafted list of guests?

alex

Feb 4, 2009, 8:52:21 AM2/4/09
to Agile Procurement
Hi

ruth kennedy ( ex of kable ) and now self employed might help with
guests and organising.

she lives in london

Alex