German: improvement suggestion for 4th principle

Peter Jetter

Mar 10, 2015, 6:00:09 AM3/10/15
to agile-manifes...@googlegroups.com
about german translation of 4th principle:
EN = Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.

In the german version "business people" is translated with "Fachexperten", which literally means "Domain Experts"

IMO that doesn´t catch the business vs technology aspect very well.
I suggest to replace "Fachexperten" mit "Geschäftsverantwortliche", which means "persons, who are responsible for business"

I agree, that is not ideal either, but to me it is closer to the spirit of the original.

George Mamaladze

Mar 12, 2015, 10:44:40 AM3/12/15
to agile-manifes...@googlegroups.com
Warum nicht gleich "Geschäftsleute" ?

Peter Stevens

Jun 25, 2018, 2:46:13 PM6/25/18
to Agile Manifesto Translation
I recently conducted a workshop in German with non-software managers. The translation Fachexperten is clearly wrong. I think the people in the room would have been happy with "Business-Leute" (though we were rather deep in the Alps) but if this doesn't pass the "Reinheitsgebot"  then Geschäftsleute would be good too.

What does it take to actually change the official translation?

Ilja Preuß

Jun 25, 2018, 3:52:16 PM6/25/18
to Agile Manifesto Translation
The way I remember it, this was a difficult word to translate, and we weren't totally happy with it, either.

Deb tells me that "business people" already isn't a very "proper" term. My personal interpretation is "non-technical stakeholders".

I am not sure what a really good translation would be. I have the feeling that "Geschäftsleute" would make people feel excluded who shouldn't be, either...