Initial Summary from Innovation Games

Cory Foy

Jun 29, 2010, 12:31:25 PM6/29/10
to Agile Developer Skills
Hi Everyone,

I apologize for the delay with the results of the game. I've had a very
sudden family emergency which has caused me to be quite unavailable. I'm
half-way through processing the results, but to give you all a taste, I
wanted to at least provide the high level topics which ended up on the
trees from both games. They are below, and I hope that in the next week
or two I'll be able to finish the summary and provide it.

Thanks to everyone who played, and please feel free to ask any questions.

Helping N00b�s start
Not everyone has Agile experience. How best to help them start?

Merit Badges
I think people inherently like recognition and games, which is why
things like foursquare/gowalla badges are getting success. * The idea
here is like Agile Merit Badges for finishing quests or whatever.

Branch: Participation
We need to have people that are committed to participating on the project.

Branch: Mentors
Need a system for people to mentor and learn from one another.

Branch: Learning Systems

Books
Place for members to add book recommendations or review books.

Discussion Groups

Awareness
How do we reach people who are unaware of agile, or who (like my boss)
think it "isn't appropriate to our needs"? Can we identify where Agile
does provide value?

Define benefits
Members should understand benefits of participation. Recognition?
Something to add to resume?

Assessments

Exercises
Should be ways to learn and evaluate improvements through exercises.

Real World Experience
Should be opportunities for real-world experience, perhaps with Open
Source or Google Agile Safari

Accreditation?
To add credibility, would there be something we could be do to be
recognized in the industry? This would help visibility and gain interest.

Group Projects
Simulations of real software projects, with all of the machinery.

Define Technology Skills
What about skills in software industry. Development? QA? DBA? Web? What
technology skills are necessary?

Glossary
define our terms

Publicity
Get publicity for project with articles, blogs, social media.

Distance Collaboration
Determine ways with tools and best practices to foster distance
collaboration.

Branch: References
Need to have up-to-date references for blogs, books, Websites, tools,
organizations, networks, etc.

Games
Provide games and short sessions allowing others to learn techniques for
agile collaboration.

Help to beginners
For the "Anna"s - I think I want to be agile but I don't know how to start.

Reputation network
Being a place where I can go to see "how agile" a person is - say a
potential employee or consultant. Jeff Hoover says "A LinkedIn
recommendation can say almost anything. I�d like to get details about
where someone is in different agile areas: "He splits stories well",
�Her code shows real understanding of SOLID�

Self Assessment
How agile am I? What should I work on?

Real Exercises
Place were you are given TDD exercises to practice. Straight forward
examples of solid principles.

Remote Mentoring
Apprentices can connect with mentors and get support as they learn/grow

Agile Skills Matrix
A decomposition of agile skills to be used for self-assessment or
targeted personal growth. Provides areas of strength or weakness to be
bolstered or addressed via quests, collaboration, mentoring, etc.

Branch: Learning Space
Developers can come to the site and get a clear picture how to progress
as a craftsman. There would be on-line chats, demos, etc. from thought
leader.

Backlog for website functionality

Group Leadership
Groups of people who are willing to take backlog items and organize
people around them. A community builder and a cheerleader.

Branch: Vision
We need a vision for the project.

--
Cory Foy
http://www.coryfoy.com

Alan Dayley

Jun 30, 2010, 12:34:56 AM6/30/10
to agile-devel...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this report, Cory.

Alan

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 9:31 AM, Cory Foy <cory...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I apologize for the delay with the results of the game. I've had a very
> sudden family emergency which has caused me to be quite unavailable. I'm
> half-way through processing the results, but to give you all a taste, I
> wanted to at least provide the high level topics which ended up on the trees
> from both games. They are below, and I hope that in the next week or two
> I'll be able to finish the summary and provide it.
>
> Thanks to everyone who played, and please feel free to ask any questions.

> Helping N00b’s start

> recommendation can say almost anything. I’d like to get details about where
> someone is in different agile areas: "He splits stories well", “Her code
> shows real understanding of SOLID”

> Self Assessment
> How agile am I? What should I work on?
>
> Real Exercises
> Place were you are given TDD exercises to practice. Straight forward
> examples of solid principles.
>
> Remote Mentoring
> Apprentices can connect with mentors and get support as they learn/grow
>
> Agile Skills Matrix
> A decomposition of agile skills to be used for self-assessment or targeted
> personal growth. Provides areas of strength or weakness to be bolstered or
> addressed via quests, collaboration, mentoring, etc.
>
> Branch: Learning Space
> Developers can come to the site and get a clear picture how to progress as a
> craftsman.  There would be on-line chats, demos, etc. from thought leader.
>
> Backlog for website functionality
>
> Group Leadership
> Groups of people who are willing to take backlog items and organize people
> around them.  A community builder and a cheerleader.
>
> Branch: Vision
> We need a vision for the project.
>
> --
> Cory Foy
> http://www.coryfoy.com
> http://twitter.com/cory_foy

George Dinwiddie

Jun 30, 2010, 10:39:27 AM6/30/10
to agile-devel...@googlegroups.com
Cory, et al,

On 6/29/10 12:31 PM, Cory Foy wrote:
> Merit Badges
> I think people inherently like recognition and games, which is why
> things like foursquare/gowalla badges are getting success. * The idea
> here is like Agile Merit Badges for finishing quests or whatever.

Are you aware that I've already created an Agile Merit Badge? See
http://idiacomputing.com/images/AgileMeritBadge.jpg

- George

John Stoneham

Aug 14, 2010, 10:33:03 PM8/14/10
to agile-devel...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see everyone at Agile 2010 and to hear ASP mentioned from the
stage by Ron & Chet.

Cory, I was wondering if you'd had a chance to finish the summary?
It'd be nice to get started on these items but I think it's important
that this direction from the community make its way to the list in
full.

Thanks,

- John

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Cory Foy <cory...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I apologize for the delay with the results of the game. I've had a very
> sudden family emergency which has caused me to be quite unavailable. I'm
> half-way through processing the results, but to give you all a taste, I
> wanted to at least provide the high level topics which ended up on the trees
> from both games. They are below, and I hope that in the next week or two
> I'll be able to finish the summary and provide it.
>
> Thanks to everyone who played, and please feel free to ask any questions.

> Helping N00b’s start

> recommendation can say almost anything. I’d like to get details about where
> someone is in different agile areas: "He splits stories well", “Her code
> shows real understanding of SOLID”

> Self Assessment
> How agile am I? What should I work on?
>
> Real Exercises
> Place were you are given TDD exercises to practice. Straight forward
> examples of solid principles.
>
> Remote Mentoring
> Apprentices can connect with mentors and get support as they learn/grow
>
> Agile Skills Matrix
> A decomposition of agile skills to be used for self-assessment or targeted
> personal growth. Provides areas of strength or weakness to be bolstered or
> addressed via quests, collaboration, mentoring, etc.
>
> Branch: Learning Space
> Developers can come to the site and get a clear picture how to progress as a
> craftsman.  There would be on-line chats, demos, etc. from thought leader.
>
> Backlog for website functionality
>
> Group Leadership
> Groups of people who are willing to take backlog items and organize people
> around them.  A community builder and a cheerleader.
>
> Branch: Vision
> We need a vision for the project.
>
> --
> Cory Foy