Complementary Currencies unconference

Richard Smedley

May 18, 2011, 6:14:55 AM5/18/11
to agile-banking
3 weeks to go, and couldn't see a posting about this here, so...

Busy coding for the future of money?
So are we [1], and it would be great to get together and talk.

Unconference - June 8th, 10am-4pm, in #thatLondon

A barcamp-style event to discuss (in particular) standards and
interoperability for everyone involved in producing software for
Complementary Currencies (LETS, Energy Futures, Timebanks,etc.) and
micro-finance & Credit Unions.

Thanks to sponsorship from NESTA [2] (National Endowment for Science,
Technology & The Arts), the event is free, and appears under their
"Software Solutions for Society" programme.

Sign up for a free ticket at:
http://softwaresolutions.eventbrite.com/

Join in the discussion beforehand on the wiki at
http://ccunconference.cc/

[1] Matthew Slater, Drupal Complementary Currency module
Richard Smedley, Cuprium.org
John Waters Esrad.org.uk

[2] http://www.nesta.org.uk/
1 Plough Place
London, EC4A 1DE

Pelle Braendgaard

May 18, 2011, 3:36:05 PM5/18/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
I have registered. Will need to find a flight over.

> --

http://agree2.com - Reach Agreement!
http://stakeventures.com - My blog about startups and agile banking

Dennis Peterson

May 18, 2011, 3:39:52 PM5/18/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
In this context, what are energy futures? Google just gave me futures contracts for oil and such.

Jens-Christian Fischer

May 19, 2011, 5:42:45 AM5/19/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard

interesting conference. I'm the CTO of Mobino (http://mobino.com) a
mobile payment service that basically interfaces bank accounts with
mobile phones (bypassing credit card and carrier as payment options)
and am currently in process of writing a Masters thesis on an open
internet payment protocol. I'm not 100% sure, if the conference is
quite up our domain (we tend to trade in EUR instead of of other
currencies) and would appreciate if you could point me towards some
more information that allows me to decide if I should fly over to
London.

cheers
Jens-Christian

John Waters

May 19, 2011, 10:41:18 AM5/19/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
On 18/05/11 20:39, Dennis Peterson wrote:

> In this context, what are energy futures? Google just gave me futures
contracts for oil and such.

I have been using the term "Energy Futures" as a short form for a model
proposed by Shann Turnbull (see Morehouse, Benello, Swann & Turnbull
"Building Sustainable Communities" 2e, TOES, 1997). He has developed
the model a bit further since then, and others (some quite different but
still backed by energy) exist.

This ST model is useful both for bringing renewable energy generation
systems into community ownership and for creating a secondary
energy-based currency for local circulation. Some time ago I attempted
a diagrammatic summary:
http://esrad.org.uk/projects/LCS/kWhF_flows_2.png and
http://esrad.org.uk/projects/LCS/kWhF_map.png

The model assumes a co-operative local banking service with sufficient
autonomy. This is (apparently) not unrealistic in parts of the USA and
Australia but it's something we lack in the UK which is why (on several
occasions) I've thrown in the idea of formation of a secondary mutual to
provide UK-wide shared resources to enable CUs and CDFIs to provide the
necessary banking services.

John (:

--

John Waters

Robert Owen Community Banking Partnership

John Waters

May 19, 2011, 10:52:48 AM5/19/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com

Richard Smedley

May 19, 2011, 11:49:30 AM5/19/11
to agile-banking

Hello Jens-Christian, Dennis, & Pelle,

Forgive the portmanteau answer, below, to everyone
in the thread - it's just to save a low-traffic list from getting
three answers from me in one afternoon :-)

On May 19, 10:42 am, Jens-Christian Fischer <jcfisc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> interesting conference. I'm the CTO of Mobino (http://mobino.com) a
> mobile payment service that basically interfaces bank accounts with
> mobile phones (bypassing credit card and carrier as payment options)
> and am currently in process of writing a Masters thesis on an open
> internet payment protocol. I'm not 100% sure, if the conference is
> quite up our domain (we tend to trade in EUR instead of of other
> currencies) and would appreciate if you could point me towards some
> more information that allows me to decide if I should fly over to
> London.

I don't want to sell the event as something it isn't. There will
be people interested in hearing about Mobino, and talking
common standards with you. We hope that as an unconference
it produces all sorts of unexpected and productive
conversations, however it's a lot of time from your
working week to fly [1] over - if you can't make it
over I hope you can join in online.

We hope that the wiki [2] can be used by people
who can't get there to join in in some way. I've
asked NESTA (the hosts & joint organisers) for
info on recording & streaming & apparently
there won't be any - however I'm sure most
of the attendees will be micro blogging.

The hashtag for the day is #ccunconf

If you give me a call on +44 779 456 07 14
or e-mail me on rgsm...@gmail.com I'll
happily answer more detailed questions about
the day and the attendees who've booked.

I'll certainly be interested in talking to you about
Mobino in the future for the Cuprium Credit Union
software :-)

[1] Or get the train, much nicer :-)
http://seat61.com/Switzerland.htm#Zurich

[2] http://ccunconference.cc/

On May 18, 8:39 pm, Dennis Peterson <dennisbpeter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In this context, what are energy futures? Google just gave me futures
> contracts for oil and such.

John Waters has quite a bit about this in
the past, which I think is on ESRAD [3]
somewhere - I've asked John to post something
here later.

Ah, I see he has - thanks, John :-)

[3] http://esrad.org.uk/currency_systems

On May 18, 8:36 pm, Pelle Braendgaard <pe...@stakeventures.com> wrote:
> I have registered. Will need to find a flight over.

Hope you can book one - there are some interesting
projects on your site I'd like to hear more about. :)

- Richard

Jens-Christian Fischer

May 25, 2011, 9:53:10 AM5/25/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard

thanks for you answers. I have just booked the flight to London on
June 8th [1] and am looking forward to meeting you all and discussing
open standards!

cheers
jc

[1]: Unfortunately, plane beats train hands down in time from ZRH to LCY

Richard Smedley

May 25, 2011, 12:49:33 PM5/25/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Jens-Christian Fischer
<jcfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks for you answers. I have just booked the flight to London on
> June 8th [1] and am looking forward to meeting you all and discussing
> open standards!

Great, we should have an interesting mix of people
there - looking forward to meeting you :)

> > http://seat61.com/Switzerland.htm#Zurich

> [1]: Unfortunately, plane beats train hands down in time from ZRH to LCY

I'm sure it does - #slowtransport isn't catching up with
the #slowfood movement, otherwise I'd be travelling
to London by canal boat ;-)

- Richard

--
http://cuprium.org/ - Free & Open Source software for Credit Unions

http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardsmedley

Pelle Braendgaard

Jun 2, 2011, 6:55:23 PM6/2/11
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
I will definitely be there. Was finally able to get a good deal on a flight.