FX9500 - Need Help

David Lustig

Jun 20, 2024, 8:06:57 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
searched some prior chats and did order a rs232 to usb cable to hopefully fix the issue but hoping someone might have a better answer for me now.

Got a reader from ebay...fx9500....label on it shows: FX950024495D
When i type this into web browser I get nothing. When I 'ip config' in cmd i get 169.254.202.85 as the autoconfig ipv4 address.

laptop is set to dhcp.

anything else i'm missing?

Patrick W

Jun 20, 2024, 8:23:37 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
You're probably overthinking it.  Plug it into your home network router and power, then use a paperclip in the reset hole on the back to factory reset it.  The lights will flash, when they come up green connect to it using your browser (you can find its ip in your router's admin interface), set it to manual ip and if you want do a firmware update...  I forget if the 9500s have a two step update or if it's the 9600, but if their documents warn you to go from a -> b -> c and not update directly a -> c follow those instructions.  Whole process takes a minute or two.

Tanvir Ahmed

Jun 20, 2024, 9:09:13 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
HI,

You can also try following this instruction form the manufacturer.

David Lustig

Jun 20, 2024, 9:23:42 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
As I mentioned, I tried using the reader name in the web browser and obtained the dhcp ip using the ipconfig option just like the directions suggest in zebra support manual. These are not working. I've reset the reader as well.

Patrick W

Jun 20, 2024, 10:01:16 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
You can't use dhcp if you plug it directly into the computer, you need to plug it into a router that serves dhcp.

Plug it into your home router, it simplifies everything, the hostname workaround you're trying to use doesn't work reliably.

You can also use the program SessionOne from zebra to find the reader on the network.  It'll even find devices that are on different network segments.

David Lustig

Jun 20, 2024, 10:06:03 PMJun 20
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
I'll give that a try Patrick. Thank you. What's weird I literally tonight walked a friend through changing his dynamic readers to fixed static ones over the phone....piece of cake. Now that I"m trying to do it myself of course it doesn't work lol.

Thanks.

David Lustig

Jun 23, 2024, 6:08:53 PMJun 23
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
Patrick....thanks again for your help. Plugged it into my home router. Could see the MAC address but not the ip though. Once my rs232 to usb cable came in i was able to use Putty to change the password and set a static ip. I got 'none' when i asked putty to return the current ip.

Thanks again for getting going in the right direction.