Finishlynx queries

JK Race Timing Systems

Jan 7, 2022, 11:57:00 AM1/7/22
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
Hi
Could I get some responses from any that uses a Finishlynx system as a backup for the rfid system.
What package would I be looking for for road running and maybe cycling TT races.
Is there an integration with Agee system or is that required.
Finally what kind of money am I looking at to get a system up and running and is it something that can be reviewed live or soon after the race or is it used as a reference afterwards
Any halp appreciated for someone that knows absolutely nothing about the system but know that it is supposedly valuable to have especially for high accuracy and busy finish lines
Thanks and best regards
John

Mark Messer

Jan 8, 2022, 11:30:53 AM1/8/22
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
Hi John. I am primarily a high school track and cross country timer that uses FinishLynx. My first instinct is that buying a FinishLynx photofinish system as a backup system is a pretty expesive venture. The investment is substantial to get a system that will fit your needs.

For XC, I integrate FinishLynx with my IPICO RFID system and I can review finishes in real time and fix finish orders when the RFID system doesn't get it right. I integrate it with a forward facing, time synchronized, video camera (IdentiLynx) which allows be to see bib numbers (or lane assignments in track) of the finishers. When finishers cross, I get a photofinish image with a line representing the RFID time and I can show custom labels (name, team, bib number, time, etc.). I verify each finisher received an RFID time and the finish order is correct. If I choose to, I can override the RFID time and assign a new time from the photofinish image. This is all done in real time. When the last finisher crosses, I can basically save the event and I know all finishers have a time and the finish order is correct. I know you can integrate ART as well, although I have never connected my ART system to it. Could you use FinishLynx as a standalone system? Yes, but you would not get the RFID time information to display in the FinishLynx. In smaller cross country races, I leave my IPICO system at home and just key punch in bib numbers into FinishLynx, which is essentially a stand alone system in that setup.

If you YouTube search 'FinishLynx Triad', you can find a video of a cross country race that will give you a feel for the integrated system with the forward facing video camera. In the video they are evaluating each runner, but you can set it so the RFID time is shown on the image and you have the option of leaving it as the final time or changing it if required.

I would speak to Don Passenger of Michiana Timing (616-821-3156) to get a better idea of the potential cost involved. Don is a FinishLynx dealer and after talking with him, he can recommend a custom package that will suit your needs. At a minimum, you are probably looking at a 1000 frames per second camera. For 'slow' running road races, 1000 is more than enough. For cycling, you'll see recommendations of 2000 or higher. I would also strongly recommend including the ACM auto-capture plugin option (~$700). With ACM, the camera will automatically record finish line activity, with no dead space between finishers. If you want to integrate your ART system, you'll need two more plug-ins (net-com and lap time) for about $500 each. With the 1000 fps camera system and the plug-ins I described, you are probably around $10,000. Adding the optional front facing video camera is another $2500. I don't know much about time trial racing, but I know there is a separate plug-in for that.

If you were to get a FinishLynx system like that and add the wireless start system (RadioLynx), you'd be perfectly set up to time high school track and cross country meets, if you wanted to expand your business.

Regards,
Mark Messer

JK Race Timing Systems

Jan 11, 2022, 1:48:34 PM1/11/22
to Agee Race Timing Users Group
Hi Mark
Many thanks for your response.
At the same time as asking on here I had contacted Finishlynx directly and they had asked their Irish distributor to get in contact with me which they have failed to do.
This is enough for me, along with the prices I think I will have to look elsewhere.
I appreciate your time in replying to me , It is definiitely something I am looking at trying to incorporate
Best regards and thanks
JK