Is Compress-Then-Encrypt Safe Here?

sanketh

Oct 16, 2020, 7:24:02 PM10/16/20
to age...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The README for age
(https://github.com/FiloSottile/age/blob/21a7203f6a899379131f3ec9be026519eebcc555/README.md)
suggests compressing then encrypting the data. From cryptography, this
rings some bells because compress-then-encrypt is not traditionally
secure (one can, for example, distinguish between AAAA and ABCD) and the
spec doesn't seem to address this issue. I couldn't find any mentions of
this issue on the internet and I was wondering if there was an obvious
security argument I am missing.

Best,
Sanketh

Brian Williams

Oct 16, 2020, 8:00:15 PM10/16/20
to sanketh, age...@googlegroups.com
That sort of attack is only really feasible if the attacker knows the length of the plaintext. Like, if you were encrypting a bunch of passwords and they were always the same length (in which case you wouldn’t be compressing anyway). If you’re encrypting a bunch of files like in the example, it’s very unlikely to have any security impact.