upcoming events

bdvo...@aol.com

Feb 20, 2020, 5:53:48 PM2/20/20
to after-wo...@googlegroups.com

February 25th 6pm

In celebration of the release of Hood Feminism (Viking, $26.00) by Mikki Kendall,
after-words bookstore invites you to re-consider the Feminist Movement.

In conversation with Linda Tirado, author of Hand to Mouth: Living in Bootstrap America
Berkley, $16.00

March 21-22nd 12pm-6pm

after-words welcomes the "We are a Polli-Nation" Art Show to our event space in celebration of Spring and the Vernal Equinox.  Come and check out these artists and their work.  You might even find something amazing to take home.

Heather Barstow sculpts, sews, paints and has created interactive shows.  She exhibits in various galleries including Lost Artists and Thirteen Pins.

“My inspiration comes from several sources like German Expressionism, Existentialism, philosophy, and the Greeks, also, and most importantly - punk, crooners and fashion. Currently I am focusing on branching out in Fine Art which captures the essence of what I enjoy doing-work in color and multimedia.”

Ruth La Sure studied drawing and painting with instructors Fred Berger and Eugene Hall at the American Academy of Art in Chicago, and printmaking at community colleges in Elgin and Glen Ellyn, Illinois. Under the tutelage of Theresa Parker at College of DuPage, she became fascinated with printing monotypes, and enhancing some with mixed media.  La Sure has attended a summer session in design and watercolor in Fontainebleau, France through the Ecole des Beaux Arts, and spent a semester with sculptor Yves Rouanet of Fouras, France. She also studied at the Palette and Chisel in Chicago with sculptor Audry Cramblit, and painter Helen Oh.

To be able to arrive into the vision of a creation of art usually involves prayerful listening.  Music quite often will put me into a contemplative state wherein I can set aside my careening thoughts and become emerged in the work.”

Laura Slota is a 2D artist and has been working with collage since 2014. Originally using anything around the house, Laura quickly incorporated found objects from local garage sales, estate sales, dumpster diving and baubles found on sidewalks. Using design skills learned while attending School of the Art Institute of Chicago, objects are grouped together in a type of visual story telling.

Suzanne Pfister, Chicago native, works primarily in mixed media and specializes in recycled arts and craft.  She has studied at the Illinois Institute of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.  Her work can be found at Handmade Market Chicago as well as Wolfbait & B-Girls in Logan Square, among other locations.

Eddie James, self-taught artist, works in oil-based painting and usually incorporates multimedia elements.  It is important to him to create a resonance, color and theme - primarily on canvas.  A local business man and Northern Illinois University professor, he is an owner/executive of several companies.

Roberto Johnny is a self-taught sculptor, specializing in recycled and/or re-purposed materials. His work includes old copper from gutters and downspouts or newer (shinier) copper sheeting picked up at metal recycling yards.  Other parts include copper or aluminum wire salvaged from old and new TV sets, microwave ovens, dishwashers, VCR's, you name it. If it's a part, it has purpose.
.
RJ's work includes Roses, Dragonflies, Butterflies, Bumble Bees, and many other insects and plants from the natural world. He believes in reusing normally thrown away materials and giving them a second chance on life.

It's truly amazing what you can do with some old wire and a few hours of time.”

Dave Shetsky is a fine artist living near Chicago. He makes photographic quality renderings done in charcoal or colored pencils. Dave's work can be seen at art events around the Chicagoland area, and at his art studio on the Northwest Side of Chicago.

I can't believe how real his drawings look.”  RJTDD

May 19th

Release of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins (Hardback $27.99).

Reread the Hunger Games trilogy in anticipation of this prequel that will return you to Panem.  Preorder your copy here at after-words by May 1st and you can get your copy for only $20!