Fwd: [occ-env-med-l] PLEASE POST AND FORWARD: Occupational Health Internship Program for Summer 2016 - application now open

Effiem

Jan 13, 2016, 12:33:17 PM1/13/16
to african oemforum
Dear Colleagues,
Happy new year!

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Harrison, Robert" <Robert....@ucsf.edu>
Date: January 12, 2016 at 6:01:01 AM GMT
To: Occ-Env-Med-L <eff...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [occ-env-med-l] PLEASE POST AND FORWARD: Occupational Health Internship Program for Summer 2016 - application now open

Dear Colleague,

Do you know a student who might be interested in learning more about occupational health -- a student currently in the public health, nursing or medicine track or an energetic and curious student interested in economic and social disparities or environmental issues?

We need your help to recruit these students to apply for the Occupational Health Internship Program (OHIP).  This is the 13th year of our very successful summer program that is designed as a field-based learning experience in occupational safety and health. Teams of two students are placed with labor unions or community-based organizations to work on projects that investigate job-related health and safety issues among workers, often of new immigrant groups, employed in an under-served or a high hazard job.

Students can apply to work in any of the following cities, regardless of where they now reside: San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, New York City, Oklahoma and Lincoln (NE). Supervision and mentorship are provided by senior occupational health researchers from UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Illinois at Chicago, Tufts University, Louisiana Department of Health & Hospitals, and the California Department of Public Health.

The deadline to apply is February 19, 2016.

The program is open both to undergraduates (3rd and 4th year) and graduate students  with an interest in occupational health or related fields. A stipend is provided for the 9-week experience ($4,000 for undergraduates, $5,200 for graduates). Housing allowance is not provided but we can assist those relocating for the summer to find temporary housing.