UN warns: 82 million Nigerians face catastrophic hunger

Wharf A. Snake

Jul 5, 2024, 8:43:08 PMJul 5
to Naija Observer, Google

ozedcomm

Jul 7, 2024, 2:20:36 AMJul 7
to AfricanWorldForum
This is what oil politics brings to a country that for a long time relied solely on oil revenue rather agriculture for which it has always been known for many decades.
Violence, mistrust and insecurity coupled with looting with impunity have left the masses reeling in abject poverty as a result of galloping inflation.
Only Divine intervention will avert an imminent collapse of the experiment!

Eddie Ozumba

Green Dim

Jul 8, 2024, 8:21:38 AMJul 8
to africanw...@googlegroups.com
Nigeria’s problem I has the additional challenge of changing the tires while the car is in motion - to use an analogy.

The entire population of Cameroon is about 5 million.  Nigeria’s population is about 230 million and growing at a rate of 2.5% or about 5 million per year.  This means that each year, we add a “Cameroon” to Nigeria.

No matter how efficient we are  in Nigeria, and no matter how incorruptible we become, until we put our penises back in our pants and leave them there, and until we stop “screwing” up things, we will never be able to catch up.  Surely, we do not increase our food production in Nigeria each year by the amount of food which all Cameroonians consume in a year.  Population control must be part of the solution.  Otherwise, 80 million is a low ball estimate.

This is my take.

Green Dim

Sent from my iPhone

--

---

femi Olajide

Jul 8, 2024, 1:07:17 PMJul 8
to africanw...@googlegroups.com
Green Dim,

Managing the population growth is one of the tools in the toolbox. Making the population efficiently productive is another very important tool.

I've always been of the school of thought that sustainable growth and development is the way forward, which a number of people on this forum believe is a western approach that is geared to stifle the development of Africans. Nothing stops you from developing rapidly sustainably, that is where I differ from the progenitors of a western conspiracy.

Once you believe all resources on earth is finite, then logic follows that there will be a tipping point in the balance between resource users and available resources. This is the point where the laws of diminishing returns will set in.

Mind you, mother earth has a self regulatory system when it notes that the pressure is getting too much. From time to time, mother earth throws into the equation what we refer to as natural phenomenon and disasters to wipe away a sizeable chunk of humans to maintain a semblance of balance. Those disasters are getting more and more......it's a barometer. Those who have ears and eyes should hear and see!

Regards,

Femi Olajide