Updated the git repo on another computer

Pierre Abbat

Apr 19, 2023, 12:16:42 PM4/19/23
to afl-users
I copied the AFLplusplus repo to another computer, then ran "git pull". It
told me this:

Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'refs/heads/master'
from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

The latest commit, when I run "git log", is from 2020. Then I run "git
checkout 4.05c" and "git log". Now the latest commit is from January 2023.
What git command should I run to get the latest?

Pierre
--
Don't buy a French car in Holland. It may be a citroen.

Dulia Baltazar

Apr 19, 2023, 10:52:47 PM4/19/23
to afl-...@googlegroups.com

Jakub Wilk

May 18, 2023, 2:20:41 PM5/18/23
to afl-...@googlegroups.com
* Pierre Abbat <ph...@bezitopo.org>, 2023-04-19 12:16:
>I copied the AFLplusplus repo to another computer, then ran "git pull".
>It told me this:
>
>Your configuration specifies to merge with the ref 'refs/heads/master'
>from the remote, but no such ref was fetched.

This happens because AFLplusplus renamed the default branch from
"master" to "stable" (and lost some commits along the way?!). Git has no
means of propagating this rename, so now all users who cloned the repo
before the switch are on their own.

This should do the trick:

git checkout -t origin/stable

You may want to remove the stale "stable" branch too:

git branch -rd origin/stable
git branch -d stable

Alternatively, you could try the XKCD method: https://xkcd.com/1597/

--