fuzzing on macOS

Peng Yu

Apr 5, 2021, 1:26:00 PM4/5/21
to afl-users
I see this warning when when I run `make distrib` in AFLplusplus. I don't whether this make sense or not. Running on Linux will not discover bugs only appear on macOS, right? How to just fuzzing the part of code specific to macOS on macOS and leave the rest of the code that are not specific to macOS fuzzed on Linux?

WARNING: Fuzzing on MacOS X is slow because of the unusually high overhead of
fork() on this OS. Consider using Linux or *BSD. You can also use VirtualBox
(virtualbox.org) to put AFL inside a Linux or *BSD VM.

Marc

Apr 6, 2021, 2:15:21 AM4/6/21
to afl-...@googlegroups.com, Peng Yu
Hi,
I changed the warning to read:

WARNING: Fuzzing on MacOS X is slow because of the unusually high
overhead of fork() on this OS. Consider using Linux or *BSD for fuzzing
software not specific for MacOs.

Is that better?

Also note that "make distrib" will try to build qemu_mode and
unicorn_mode which both do not work on MacOs.

If you check out the dev branch you will find the new "frida_mode" (that
is also built with "make distrib") which allows fuzzing binary targets
on MacOs.

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Heuse
www.mh-sec.de

PGP: AF3D 1D4C D810 F0BB 977D 3807 C7EE D0A0 6BE9 F573

Peter Gutmann

Apr 6, 2021, 7:10:47 AM4/6/21
to afl-users
Peng Yu <peng...@gmail.com> writes:

>Running on Linux will not discover bugs only appear on macOS, right? How to
>just fuzzing the part of code specific to macOS on macOS and leave the rest
>of the code that are not specific to macOS fuzzed on Linux?

You'll have to provide more information on what it is you're fuzzing. Unless
you're fuzzing part of the OS or system libraries, there shouldn't be much
difference between running on Linux or running on OS X. I fuzz all my stuff
under Linux because I've got access to servers to run it on, but then debug
the issues that are found under Windows because I prefer the debugger there.

Peter.