Unable to compile SpiderMonkey with afl-clang-fast

L R

Aug 20, 2023, 2:37:49 AM8/20/23
to afl-users
I used afl-clang-fast to compile SpiderMonkey, but it said "No instrumentation detected when fuzzing.
Environment details:
compiler: clang-11
OS: ubuntu 20.04
AFL version: 2.57b

After setting CC=afl-clang-fast and CXX=afl-clang-fast++, the afl-clang-fast++ is indeed used.
Snipaste_2023-08-20_14-34-53.jpg

The failure of the afl fuzzing is shown here.
Snipaste_2023-08-20_14-34-17.jpg

Please give me some suggests. Thanks.

L R

Aug 20, 2023, 2:56:46 AM8/20/23
to afl-users
Moreover, when afl-clang and afl-clang++ are used to compile, the target will crash in the function __afl_setup_first.

Snipaste_2023-08-20_14-56-19.jpg

Nikolay Shaplov

Aug 20, 2023, 8:16:05 AM8/20/23
to afl-users, L R
В письме от воскресенье, 20 августа 2023 г. 09:37:48 MSK пользователь L R
написал:
I have no idea what is your problem. But the first thing I will try it this
case, I will try to use AFL++ instead of AFL 2.57b.

If this problem is still exist, I would create an issue in AFL++'s github.
If you give step-by-step guide how to reproduce it (starting from git clone of
the SpiderMonkey code) van Hauser will most probably try it, and might give
you some feedback, or even fix a bug in AFL++

--
Nikolay Shaplov aka Nataraj
Fuzzing Engineer at Postgres Professional

L R

Aug 31, 2023, 6:21:07 AM8/31/23
to afl-users
Hi, I used AFL++ and everything works. Thanks.