Error in Fuzzing libxml2 with AFL++

TOLUCHURI SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO

Jul 8, 2022, 2:13:57 AM7/8/22
to afl-users
Hi everyone,
While performing the Fuzzing libxml2 tutorial (https://aflplus.plus/docs/tutorials/libxml2_tutorial/), I am getting this error "This file is not executable" and the fuzzing stops.
Any suggestions, on how to fix this error message?
Please guide me with this.

Regards,
Shyamili

Marc Heuse

Jul 8, 2022, 2:33:45 AM7/8/22
to afl-...@googlegroups.com
did you run ./configure of libxml2 with —disable-shared?
Otherwise - without any useful information what commands you used and what your setup is it is impossible to help …

Am 08.07.2022 um 08:14 schrieb 'TOLUCHURI SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO' via afl-users <afl-...@googlegroups.com>:

Hi everyone,
Message has been deleted

TOLUCHURI SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO

Jul 8, 2022, 6:29:03 AM7/8/22
to afl-users
Screenshot 2022-07-08 at 3.45.49 PM.jpeg

I am working on a Kali Linux VM on UTM. I cloned AFLplusplus, and followed the tutorial as mentioned, I did run ./configure of libxml2 with —disable-shared, the screenshot has the error.

Any suggestions, on how to fix this error message?
Please guide me with this.

Regards,
Shyamili

Nikolay Shaplov

Jul 12, 2022, 2:23:04 AM7/12/22
to afl-users, 'TOLUCHURI SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO' via afl-users
В письме от пятница, 8 июля 2022 г. 13:23:52 MSK пользователь 'TOLUCHURI
SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO' via afl-users написал:

Shyamili, when you ask for help in a mail list (any mail list),
to increase chances to get good answer you should describe what you are doing
in detail. Tell how to reproduce your problem.

Better to provide full list of shell commands you've issued to get to the
result you have.

Better to provide them as text, not as screenshot. Screenshots are bad.

I for example tried to find out how exactly you run afl fuzzer, but did not
found this information on screenshot. I guess I am not the only one.

So you'd better to provide full information than, may be somebody will be able
(or will be willing) to help. With information you've provided I can say
nothing. I just do not know what exactly you are doing.

--
Nikolay Shaplov aka Nataraj
Fuzzing Engineer at Postgres Professional

Nikolay Shaplov

Jul 15, 2022, 1:55:47 PM7/15/22
to afl-users, 'TOLUCHURI SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO' via afl-users
В письме от среда, 13 июля 2022 г. 10:05:48 MSK пользователь 'TOLUCHURI
SHYAMILI SHANKER RAO' via afl-users написал:

> [-] The input directory does not seem to be valid - try again. The fuzzer
> needs
> one or more test case to start with - ideally, a small file under 1 kB
> or so. The cases must be stored as regular files directly in the input
> directory.
>
> Any suggestions, on how to fix this error message?
> Please guide me with this.

This is not the same message you've started the thread. Previously you've
reported "This file is not executable" error message.

Here AFL complains, in a quite good English, about content od input directory.
It is you creative work to find way around it. I would try to start from one
simple valid sample. Then if it works, try to figure out what samples from
test/*.xml fits, and what does not.

There is no steady solution. If you want to do the fuzzing you need to try
things. Something might changed in AFL++ or in libxml since fuzzing guide have
been written. Carefully read messages, think(!), and try things.
signature.asc