Every time program aborts after performing a dry run

Arpita Dutta

Jan 23, 2023, 8:08:06 PM1/23/23
to afl-users
Hi All,

I am getting this weird behavior of AFL for some of the programs and am unable to understand the reason.

Every time I run the programs and get the same message of perform_dry_run() and the program aborts.

Test case 'id:000000,orig:test1.txt' does *NOT* crash
         Location : perform_dry_run(), afl-fuzz.c:2558

Please check the attached screenshot as well.

Any leads to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot from 2023-01-24 09-04-17.png

Michal Zalewski

Jan 23, 2023, 10:35:52 PM1/23/23
to afl-...@googlegroups.com, arpit...@gmail.com
I'm assuming you're passing the -C parameter in the command line. This puts the fuzzer in a "crash exploration" mode, where it's expecting some already-known crashing inputs as the starting point.

If you want to fuzz the binary the usual way, just omit the -C parameter. If you eventually discover some cool crashing case and you want to examine how much control you have over the circumstances ot the crash, that's where -C comes in handy.

You should also really follow that core_pattern advice earlier in the screenshot. Without that change, you will end up missing crashes.

/mz

Arpita Dutta

Jan 24, 2023, 4:27:26 AM1/24/23
to afl-users