Is there a reason the file .cur_input is not being created in aflplusplus in Unicorn mode?

stefan hansan

Dec 5, 2023, 2:34:38 PM12/5/23
to afl-users
Hey,
I am running my fuzzing harness with the command:
afl-fuzz -U -m none -i input -o output -- python test_harness.py /path/to/arg1/ @@
where @@ is arg2 in the harness and should be input from a file. However, I don't see .cur_input getting created, and my harness crashes when it tries to open it saying, "No such file or directory: /blah/ output/default/.cur_input"

If I do create a .cur_input symlink with
`ln -s output/default/queue/id:00000,time:0,execs:0,orig,input.txt .cur_input`
then the harness runs, but AFL exits, stating "Hmm, looks like the target binary terminated before we could complete a handshakes with the injected code."

I think the core issue is that the .cur_input file is not being created. But it is also weird to me that even when there is one there named that, AFL cannot complete a handshake.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nikolay Shaplov

Dec 9, 2023, 10:54:34 AM12/9/23
to afl-users, stefan hansan
В письме от вторник, 5 декабря 2023 г. 20:49:09 MSK пользователь stefan hansan
написал:
Hi! I know nothing about this issue, but I would suggest to check if this work
with AFL++ (a community edition of ALF)

If it still does not work, or you are already using AFL++, then I'd suggest to
try to use older versions of AFL++, may be they work.

If some old version works, then it would be good to use git bisect to find
patch that breakes it, and report it.

If nothing works, then you'd better go to AFL++ issue tracker, I guess you can
get some help there....

--
Nikolay Shaplov aka Nataraj
Fuzzing Engineer at Postgres Professional