Special Graduate Student Event with Despina Kakoudaki -- May 21

Sarah Papazoglakis

May 9, 2014, 4:54:11 PM5/9/14
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,
I think that graduate students in this group might be interested in a special interdisciplinary seminar/roundtable with Professor Despina Kakoudaki, scholar of literature, film, visual and cultural studies, and the history of technology, to discuss her new book Anatomy of a Robot.  We will discuss the fascination with artificial people and explore the political and textual implications of our perennial projections of humanity onto figures such as robots, androids, cyborgs, and automata.

Wednesday, May 21, 4:30-6:00 pm
Location: Graduate Student Commons, located above Joe's Pizza & Subs across from the Bay Tree Bookstore

Pizza, veggie snacks, and beverages will be served. This roundtable is open to all graduate students, but please RSVP to me by May 19 at spap...@ucsc.edu.  There are two optional readings from the book--the introduction and a chapter entitled "Affect and Machines in the Media"--that we will circulate to attendees before the event.

Professor Kakoudaki will also be giving a talk entitled "Robots and Slaves: History, Allegory and the Structural Logic of the Robot Story" at the Cultural Studies Colloquium on Wednesday, May 21 at 12:15 pm.

Sarah Papazoglakis

PhD Student, Literature, UCSC

MA, Literature, American University

Despina Kakoudaki flyer 5.21.14.pdf