possible conference

Deborah Gould

Nov 3, 2011, 3:35:05 PM11/3/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
dear affect working group folks,
so, if we were to do a conference next year, say in the winter
quarter, who would you want to hear speak and on what theme(s) would
you want the conference to be? carla and i are trying to pull together
a grant application for conference funding, so we need your
suggestions really really soon, like by this saturday, nov. 5! nothing
we propose will be written in stone, but we want to write up a
proposal that will be alluring to funders. thanks in advance,
debbie

Natalie McKeever

Nov 3, 2011, 5:55:35 PM11/3/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
People from outside UCSC? Brian Massumi, Mark B.N. Hansen, Rosalind Piccard.

Danilyn Rutherford

Nov 3, 2011, 5:59:33 PM11/3/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
William Mazzarella is doing some great stuff on this topic, too.

Danilyn Rutherford
Professor and Chair
Department of Anthropology
University of California, Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA  95064

President, Society for Cultural Anthropology

Erin Gray

Nov 3, 2011, 8:13:28 PM11/3/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
jane bennett at john hopkins!

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Danilyn Rutherford <drut...@ucsc.edu> wrote:
> William Mazzarella is doing some great stuff on this topic, too.
> On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Natalie McKeever wrote:
>
> People from outside UCSC? Brian Massumi, Mark B.N. Hansen, Rosalind Piccard.
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Deborah Gould <dbg...@ucsc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> dear affect working group folks,
>> so, if we were to do a conference next year, say in the winter quarter,
>> who would you want to hear speak and on what theme(s) would you want the
>> conference to be? carla and i are trying to pull together a grant
>> application for conference funding, so we need your suggestions really
>> really soon, like by this saturday, nov. 5! nothing we propose will be
>> written in stone, but we want to write up a proposal that will be alluring
>> to funders. thanks in advance,
>> debbie
>> --

Erin Gray

PhD Student
History of Consciousness

Alexis Kargl

Nov 3, 2011, 10:08:31 PM11/3/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
maria puig de la bellacasa at university of leicester, jasbir puar at rutgers

Vanita Seth

Nov 4, 2011, 1:25:27 PM11/4/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
I would second that but don't know about budget issues.

Samantha Frost who wrote "Lessons from a materialist thinker : Hobbesian reflections on ethics and politics". I know if might sound dry to many of you but trust me, she does some brilliant work around our understanding of affect. She is at University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign. As people seem to be indulging wish-list fantasies I thought Id throw my two-bob in.

cheers, vanita

Carla Freccero

Nov 8, 2011, 2:04:47 PM11/8/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks, Deborah and I are doing a quick and dirty conference proposal for UCHRI--due this coming Thursday. I'm writing you to get names from within the UC system of folks who work on Affect. your speedy response appreciated! You can e-mail me directly (frec...@ucsc.edu).

Best, Carla

Sara Orning

Nov 8, 2011, 2:30:08 PM11/8/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
sianne ngai at UCLA!

sara
--
Sara E. S. Orning
Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Literature

Carla Freccero

Nov 8, 2011, 2:42:14 PM11/8/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
thanks!

Danilyn Rutherford

Nov 8, 2011, 8:04:29 PM11/8/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com, affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
Saba Mahmood. Berkeley. Kind of. Jason Throop. UCLA. Kind of too. Joe Hankins. UCSD. Kind of in another way. Lochlain Jain. But Stanford. All interesting for our purposes.

Erin Gray

Nov 8, 2011, 9:10:41 PM11/8/11
to affect-wor...@googlegroups.com
stephen best, berkeley.